Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 6980
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A test page shows stripes on colour blocks so I want to  clean the printheads. The printer is HP6980 connected to a Winodws 10 PC. HP Print & Scan Doctor 5.2 has a page which offers this option, but when I click on it nothing happens. Does anybody have any suggestions other than "buy a new printer?"

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @phillipsrb

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1) In the search box, type and open File Explorer and browse to this path - This PC > C: > Program Files (x86) > HP and delete the Diagnostics folder.

2) Right-click on the Start or the Windows icon and click on Run, type %appdata% into the Run dialog and click on OK.

3) Delete the HPPSDr folder. Close that window and restart the computer. 

4) Download and install the Print and Scan Doctor from this link.

To resolve the print quality issue, try step# 2 and 3 from this document

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Phillipsrb, 

Below is the URL that shows how to run the CLEAN PRINTHEAD routine. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-6980-printer-series/468002/document/c00585687

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I tried the document but  I guess it must bes written for a different OS – I have Windows 10/64 so I did the nearest I could which was as follows :-

> Click on 'Start'
> Select ‘Devices & Printers’
> When window opens showing various devices, right-click on HP6980 icon
> Select ‘Printer Properties’
> This gives a new window with various printer-related tabs but none of these
    is a Services tab so you can't go any further.

Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

Hi asmita6658

I’ve followed your suggested steps but they do not resolve the issue unfortunately

1. if I run HP Print and Scan Doctor from your link it finds the printer OK
    and connects to it, but when I then select the ‘Printer’ tab then ‘Printer
    Services’, although the resulting window offer several options including
    Clean Print Heads, none of them do anything when you click on them.
    If I select ‘Fix Printing’ it reports that everything is OK. If you use it to
    print a test page it is obviously defective – stripes in some of the colour
    blocks etc.
  2. I also tried Steps 2 & 3 from the document at the second link, but I guess
    this is written for a different OS – I have Windows 10/64 so I did the nearest
    I could which was as follows
    > Click on Start
    > Select ‘Devices & Printers’
    > When window opens showing various devices, right-click on HP6980 icon
    > Select ‘Printer Properties’
    > This gives a new window with various printer-related tabs but none of these
        is a Services tab so can't go any further.

Regards

Robert Phillips

[also sent this by email, but not sure if it would get here so posting directly as well]

HP Recommended

@phillipsrb

Thanks for replying. The printhead cleaning feature might not work if you do not have the full-feature printer driver installed. 

I'd suggest you try using the HP Smart App as it has the printhead cleaning feature. HP Smart app is compatible with most of the newer printers and it might not work but I'd still suggest you try using the HP Smart App. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

Thanks for reply.

I have tried Hp Smart App as you suggest but unfortunately it cannot find my printer even though it is definately connected and working. I can't use the option to manually add a printer either as my printer is connected via a USB port so doesn't have an IP address.

Re Driver

I guess that the driver for this printer was automatically loaded by Windows 10 when the system was being set up so may be some Windows default driver - Device Manger reports the drivername as 'prnms013.inf'. Is there some way to load a full-featured HP driver?

Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

@phillipsrb

Thanks for replying, Robert. I'm afraid the full-feature drivers are unavailable as it is quite an old printer. 

I'd suggest you reach you to the HP Support in your region. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

Thanks for reply.  Would it be worth trying to install the XP driver - presumably this was full-featured?

Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

@phillipsrb

Try installing the drivers for Windows Vista. Download the .exe file from this link and run this in compatibility mode. 

Right click on the download and click on "Show in Folder". > Right click on the .exe file and open "Properties". > Click on "Compatibility" tab. > Check the box under Compatibility Mode. > Click on "Apply" and then click on "Ok". > Go to the download folder again, right click on the .exe file and click on "Run as Administrator". 

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.