Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The spec document states that his printer is capable of 1200dpi (hardware) scan resolution. When I use the scan dialog, I can only select up to 300dpi, even in a custom scan shortcut.

Is this printer actually scanning at 300 or 1200 dpi? or is this a play on ppi vs dpi?

I need to scan in the highest resolution possible because I ofter have to zoom scanned images for use in graphics programs.

Any info and suggestions will be apprecieated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Are you scanning from the front panel of the printer or from software on your PC?  If the former, try the latter.

To get the latest software for your printer, visit this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-8720-All-in-One-Printer-series/7902...

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Scan from software. When I tried to scan from the front panel, I still did not see anywhere to set resolution, only shortcuts.

I'm sure I'm missing something...

HP Recommended

It may depend on the file type you are scanning to.  Have you chosen .jpg?  That would be my recommendation.

I am kinda out of ideas at this point, sorry.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Just in case anyone else is looking for the same answer, I just encountered the same problem.  Solution: If you choose document feeder as the source, your scan resolution is limited to 300dpi.  If you choose flatbed as the source, then you can go higher.

HP Recommended

Using the scan software can select flatbed scan and "save as PDF" and select 600 ppi (that is the only thing I found so far)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.