Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captainmurph
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HTTPS fails on embedded web server after firmware update on OfficeJet Pro 8600

Just bought a new HP Officejet Pro 8600.  I was using the embedded web server to see what features were available and I was able to access the admin setting which redirects you to a HTTPS page successfully.  But when I setup the online eprint features the printer downloaded a new firmware and I can no longer access the HTTPS enabled pages on the embedded web server.  It seems that the firmware update either enabled a firewall rule blocking tcp port 443 or disabled https service.  The printer isn't responding to any requests on TCP 443 (tested with telneting to port 443, no response).  I've tried resetting back to factory defaults and turning off the unit with no luck.  Is this a bug in the firmware or something else.

Thanks,

Colin

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 5 fertileground
Level 5
318 318 6 22
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you tell me which firmware revision your printer is at?  You can get the firmware revision by printing a Network Configuration Page from Setup Menu > Reports on your printer control panel.

I am an HP employee
captainmurph
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so I just tried accessing the Embedded Web Server and I can now access the HTTPS pages.  When I made my original post, the printer was running firmware version CLP1CN1136AR.  Now today the printer is running CLP1CN1136BR.  I'm assuming it updated itself in the last couple of days.  Can you confirm that the trouble firmware version had a bug?

Thanks,

Colin

0 Kudos
cbc
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem, HTTPS worked one day and now it doesn't. My firmware now is CLP1CN1150CR, I'm not sure what it was when HTTPS did work.

0 Kudos
remaker
Level 3
22 22 2 6
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this exact same problem, firmware release CKP1CN1545AR.

Port 443 refuses connections like there is no server running there.

Chrome reports ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Telnet to port 443 fails.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 899 2,529
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey folks, I wonder if this issue is being caused by a certificate error. I suggest first clicking Compatabillity View in the address bar of the browser.

If that doesn't work you can also try trying to open the Embedded Web Server in a different browser, for instance, if you are using Internet Explorer, try Google Chrome.

Let me know if this helps resolve the issue, and if it does not, please please include your product number and operating system version in your response. 

I can assume by the title you have the 8600, but there are many versions of the 8600 in the series and I'd like to be sure I'm researching the right one. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
remaker
Level 3
22 22 2 6
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for the response.

It is not a certificate error. You will get a certificate error after a connection is complete. The connection to port 443 never completes in the first place, so we never make it to the (expected) certificate error form the self-signed certificate.

When I attempt a "telnet" connection to port 443 (the https port) the connection is refused. The behavior is as if a server is not running on port 443. Any browser-related suggestion is not going to be helpful, since the network connection itself is refused.

It is specifically an OfficeJet 8600 N911a (non-plus).

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 899 2,529
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @remaker

After re-reading the many posts, I suspect the issue has to do with the network and not the firmware. 

Let's leave the router on and unplug the power cable (NOTE: Do not reset the router.), and then do the same with the printer, and shut down the computer. After a full minute, plug the router back in, wait for it to fully power up, then plug the printer back in and wait for the wireless light to become solid. Once both the router and printer are on, go ahead and turn the computer back on. Doing this will refresh the network connection. 

Once this is compete, please check the printer to validate the IP address as it may have changed at some point and use the IP to access the EWS again. If you can access the EWS of course the issue is resolved, but if you still cannot reach the EWS I recommend turning on the Wireless Direct from the front panel of the printer, connecting the computer to the Printer's network and then accessing the EWS using 192.168.223.1. 

If you can access the EWS using the 192.168.223.1 IP address we've confirmed the issue definitely has to do with the router/network. 

Let me know how it goes and we can proceed from there. 

Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
remaker
Level 3
22 22 2 6
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have 4 access points and 5 switches on my network. I am extremely well versed in network issues. I can assure you that the HP printer is actively not accepting the connection. If you need a Wireshark trace to prove it, I can provide that.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 899 2,529
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

remaker, unfortunately we don't have documentation to assist with your network configuration. If you complete those steps I have outlined let me know the results.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation