Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8710

I've seen a number of posts on this problem, but I haven't seen any solutions that work.

Cardstock does not feed through correctly, even when I set the paper option to "thick" paper.  The first page prints ok, but every subsequent page is farther and farther off center, cutting off the image or text that I'm trying to print.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@classyfam

Specifications indicate that Cardstock is supported to weight 110 lb.

If you card paper falls within the weight restrictions, consider adjusting the Media type (kind of paper).

If available, consider selecting a different Media.

For example:

• Brochure Matte 
  • Cardstock

or, if the cardstock is lighter in weight, 

• Presentation Paper

8740_Printing Preferences_Paper-Types_18740_Printing Preferences_Paper-Types_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but as I stated in my question, I already tried changing the paper type.  That was the very first thing I tried!  It did NOT solve the problem.  It made no difference at all.

I've read posts of others who have said the same thing.  Adjusting the paper type does not fix this problem.

HP Recommended

@classyfam

The initial answer to the question "Has anyone been able to resolve the problem with cardstock not feeding correctly in Officejet 8710":

1. Yes, the issue can be resolved by using the proper type and weight of paper supported in the printer.
  2. Yes, in addition to using the proper paper type and weight,  the issue can be resolved by cleaning and maintaining the printer to prevent misfeeds and paper jams.
  3. Although less important in the physical sense, using the proper software to accomplish a particular goal can influence the result.  That simply means that some software is more likely to provide selection support (configuration choices) that are more likely to be compatible together.  Configuration does not usually influence "feed" issues.

OK.  After reading your response, it is clear that the paper type you mentioned in your original post ("thick paper") was not actually inclusive of all the paper types you had tried.  The distinction is important because different types of paper are measured (in weight) differently depending on the "source type" of that paper.

You know that Media types might be made from different types of paper as identified by ISO standards.  Examples include Cover, Index, and Bond.

The act of selecting the different available Media types helps to eliminate the chance that the type of Media you are loading into the printer might have different characteristics than the defined Cardstock (mentioned in the Specifications).  

Example - Gsm / paper weight calculator (This particular link / resource includes media type “card stock”)

Calculate & Convert Paper Weights on Your Own Website

For the purpose of this post, (the assumption is that) the "cardstock" you are using falls within the weight restrictions allowed by the printer; no more than 110lb Index and / or 200 gsm (grams per square meter).  If that is not the case, and the Cardstock you are using is made from other than the Index ISO standard type, then the weight difference could be significant.  Simply said, not all paper is equal - the manufactured source type of that paper is important.

NOTE to readers:  No emails, please; I realize I am over simplifying a complicated subject.

If the paper weight falls within the limitations, then the source of the issue is either the printer itself (for not accepting the paper) or perhaps a misconfiguration in other than the "Media type" selection.

If the printer does not accept the paper, try / consider:

"Cardstock" paper made from "Index" type media provides a certain print surface that should be acceptable to the printer.   If your cardstock is made from other than Index paper, the surface on the paper might be "catching" on the rollers (unable to proceed).

If the paper is acceptable and if the printer is dirty and in need of maintenance, the incidents of misfeeds and jams might first be evident when using anything other than "plain paper" (standard 20lb Text paper).  This means that while plain paper still works in the printer, other types of paper may show symptoms of "misfeeds".

I realize the exact wording of your problem is different - the following documents cover the solutions available for various feed (and jam) issues.

'Out of Paper' Displays, Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper

and

Paper Jam Error

Honestly, based on your reaction and the evidence, I have little else to offer.  My experience is limited to having had several HP printers of various types.  The printer to which I am referring during this discussion is the Officejet Pro 8740.  The 8740 model is "just" different enough from the 8710 that the advice I offer may not be precise in context.

Good Luck.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I realize this is an old thread but I came here searching for a resolution to the same issue and I ended up finding an answer that solved it. I tried many different paper options on the printer and through printer properties to no avail until I chose *****"Other Specialty Papers"*****. The setting can be found when choosing to go to print ---> setup ---> properties ---> media ---> other specialty papers. This prints much slower but every peice of my letter size, perforated cardstock printed exactly in its margins. My perforated cardstock on the Officejet Pro 8710 was printing incorrectly beyond the first loaded page. Incorrectly meaning the first page prints to exact alignment and all other pages print off the page, cutting off information and leaving the other half blank. It no longer does this with the adjustment made above. Everyone's navigation to the paper type might be slightly different but that media type is the proper choice when all other options do not work.

HP Recommended

You ever figure this one out? HP is useless here... appreciate any positive comment.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Gary_at_IABC

I have checked the printer specifications, please find the supported cards and size by the printer.

Your printer can support a Standard input capacity (cards) Up to 50 cards.

Also, the media weight supported by your printer is 

Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)

Try the steps recommended below.

• Go to Control panel – Devices and Printers.
  • Right-Click on the Officejet 8710 and select Printing Preferences.
  • Go to Paper / Quality tab change your paper type to "Cardstock" under media.
  • Also, if you are printing with Microsoft office / MS Word/ or any other program, make sure the media or paper type is also selected to the cardstock as well.

Please find the list of cardstock supported by your printer listed below.

Refer this article to know more information about out of paper issues. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

his is a solution by no means, but I print 1 page at a time and space out my printing by 1-2 minutes between pages. It takes time, but I waste less paper. Also, I have a MacBook Air and many of the configurations I see are for PC users, so for me this is what works best. 😕 I make it work so I don't have to buy a new printer. 

HP Recommended

@klamb07 

I would guess that this thread is a dead-end for your situation else the information we provided would have been enough to answer the question for you.

I am not trying to "block" you, rather I believe you are best served by asking the question anew, explain what you are doing, include your printer model, include the exact gsm and card type you are using, and include the software you are using to submit the job to the printer.

Be sure to include your Operating System when you submit your question - as you can see from this thread, only general answers are possible if we do not have that information upfront.

Please start a new thread of your own >

If your printer is an Inkjet printer, submit on Board Printers > Inkjet Printing 

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

B51BFB79-E95C-4922-B031-F857638C7219.jpeg17799961-C83A-40C0-9853-D6B9F3663600.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.