Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 AIO PRINTER
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I purchased HP black 920 XL ink from Walmart. I have an Office Jet PRO 6978 all-in-one, which uses HP 902 XL (look closely: the numbers are different!) by mistake. I tried to install it, but the tab on the end of the cartridge is different, and it won't work on the 6978. Walmart won't take it back because I opened it; there's nothing wrong with the cartridge (that I know of); I just can't use it. What do I do now? I can't afford to throw $50 away.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Carol-in-MD

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Carol-in-MD, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. Unfortunately, the opened ink cartridges cannot be replaced or exchanged.

However, I would suggest you contact the HP Support in your region regarding further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, TEJ, but alas, that didn't help. The call center tech (Tier 1) to whom I spoke said they couldn't do anything about it--but they'd sell me a discounted replacement. That's the first time I've been disappointed with HP support. Yes--it was my fault, for being busy and absent-minded and not realizing that I'd transposed the numbers--but it was their fault, too, for numbering two products for similar machines so closely.

I'm pretty upset. Guess my next printer will not be an HP--and I work for the government, for an agency that just purchased a whole slew of HP laptops--in IT support. I'll be sure to let our acquisition team know what has transpired here.

HP Recommended

@Carol-in-MD

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, TEJ. It's been a long day; I sent all of the information to the call center (in India). Case number: 5038980630. Tier II is referring it to Tier III--I'm expecting a call tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! I just e-mailed the details to Stephen_So-Me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.