Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I purchased new HP301 ink cartridges, my HP 2540 printer  will not print.  It did print out once with the printer details on it, and showing error code C8190014. The paper justs sits halfway through the printer, I have checked and there is nothing jammed.  I have switched the printer off and taken the cables out and switched off at the mains, but no change. I tried to update firmware but it didn't have my printer listed.  The printer will scan.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @SALLYNO

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

I understand you are not able to print due to an error.

• Did you replace both the ink cartridges?
  • Are there any blinking lights on the printer?
  • Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document to resolve any ink cartridge related issues.

Check if the print carriage is moving freely in the printer and reinsert the ink cartridges.

Refer to this document.

Insert one ink cartridge at a time and try printing/copying to identify the defective ink cartridge.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

Thank you for your help.

I did purchase both cartridges.

There are no blinking lights on printer now.

I have checked the printer and cleaned the cartridges.

I am going to seem very vague but when you say make a stand alone copy what do you mean. I have googled this and am still not sure what to do.

Also since I last messaged even my scanner is not recognised on the computer which it was before.

I wasn't sure if I needed to add printer drivers, I thought I would try and it downloaded but when it came to it, it said there wasn't a printer connected when there is.

I am really confused, I know how to use a computer but not very informative about the setting up of one.

Can you help me.

Many thanks 

SALLYNO

HP Recommended

@SALLYNO

Just place an original document on the scanner glass and press the copy button on the printer to make a copy of it to check if the hardware of the printer is working fine.

Also, print a status report.

Press and hold the Cancel button  for 3 seconds.

Printer Status Report prints.

If the printer is able to make a copy and print a test page, it means the printer hardware is working fine.

Check the connection between the printer and the computer.

Is it wireless or USB connected?

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.