Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is my second attempt on trying to get an answer to my question which is how to translate the code for expiration on a cartridege package. I ordered ink (HP 63) on line and when the package arrived (combo pack) just the inner packages arrived and no clue as to expiration date. So I wrote the seller and this was their reply:

"Regarding the date "HP has a code on the bottom right that begins with 17 add two years to that number and you will have the expiration year".Please open if the item is not 2019 please contact us. We look forward to doing business soon. "

I am running out of time to return these cartridges if they are not what they say. The cartridge Codes are: 170718 &171030.

Sooz2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The seller is correct - the date on the inner package is the manufacture/packaging date.  It is in the form YYMMDD.  The cartridge warranty date is two years later.  The warranty date will be printed on the cartridge itself,  see the document here for information.  Your cartridges will have warranty dates of July 2019 and October 2019.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The seller is correct - the date on the inner package is the manufacture/packaging date.  It is in the form YYMMDD.  The cartridge warranty date is two years later.  The warranty date will be printed on the cartridge itself,  see the document here for information.  Your cartridges will have warranty dates of July 2019 and October 2019.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I want to thank you for taking time to answer my question. It not only solved my issue but will also be used for future instances should they arrive.

Sooz2

HP Recommended

I am glad I could help resolve your issue.  BTW, it can be somewhat circuitous to actually get cartridge warranty replacement.  The following process has been known to work if you need to get cartridge warranty with a printer that is out of warranty:

HP cartridges do have a warranty, see the document here for information. To get warranty coverage you will need to go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printerAt this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results.The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this >  

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select:  

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software. 

In the comment section indicate that you have a defective supply that is in warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

The outer wrapper of the HP 63XL I purchased reads:

myp2 200900 190324 2123 and the other cartridge wrapper is the same except the last four digits are 2132.  Can you interpret these numbers and what the exact expiration date is? Thanks.

HP Recommended

@bobm52ny wrote:

The outer wrapper of the HP 63XL I purchased reads:

myp2 200900 190324 2123 and the other cartridge wrapper is the same except the last four digits are 2132.  Can you interpret these numbers and what the exact expiration date is? Thanks.

The best place to find the warranty would be on the back side of the cartridge package or on the cartridge itself.  The date on the inner cartridge wrapper is the date of packaging, typically about two years from the end of warranty date.  There may be some delay from manufacture date to the actual packaging date, this may nake the date on the inner wrapper off by a few days.

In your case the packaging date is 190324 in YYMMDD format, the warranty would end in March of 2021.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.