Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Bought cartridges from another, proven supplier.  Printer had advised me to replace Magenta and Yellow. Replaced those and after a too long time the printer advised me to replace the blue.  After putting the cartridge in twice more I turned the printer off and when it came back up, it advised me to replace the black.  The odds of all four cartridges going out at the exact same time is extremely unlikely.  Then I found notes in the cartridge boxes advising me to Disable HP Cartridge Protection, but --- it didn't tell me how.  I've now wasted an hour trying to get that  answered by the HP web site.  Can anyone give me a tip?  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Cartridge Protection can be disabled by going to your printer EWS web page by inputting the Printers IP address into your web browser.  Then navigate to Cartridge Protection and make sure it is disabled.

If enabled, those cartridges you just put in can only be used in that printer, period.  No way to reverse it.

HP Recommended

thank you for this response.

I bought some ink from a guy who had bought them and couldn’t geget them to work on his j611.

he gave me the printer as well as the inks.

found a youtube about resetting the printer using the cancel and back buttons. it wasn’t very clear but i seem to have done it.

i would like to disable cartridge protection but can’t manage the  ‘navigate to...’

ive tried tools and settings.

im wondering if it’s to do with the fact 

a. i’m missing something obvious

b. i’m using an old macbook and even older apple os, and not wonder windows.

any giodance you could offer before i install new inks and end up with them locked to a printer that still may not work.

thanks in advance

HP Recommended

@Astroguy1 wrote:

Bought cartridges from another, proven supplier.  Printer had advised me to replace Magenta and Yellow. Replaced those and after a too long time the printer advised me to replace the blue.  After putting the cartridge in twice more I turned the printer off and when it came back up, it advised me to replace the black.  The odds of all four cartridges going out at the exact same time is extremely unlikely.  Then I found notes in the cartridge boxes advising me to Disable HP Cartridge Protection, but --- it didn't tell me how.  I've now wasted an hour trying to get that  answered by the HP web site.  Can anyone give me a tip?  

HP Recommended

what is the ews web page and how do you find your printer's ip address

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.