Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Yet another bad HP ink cartridge, this time for an F4580 All-in-One on Mac OS 10.6.8.

This is the third or fourth bad HP cartridge I've gotten.

Wasted over an hour trying to "troubleshoot" the problem -- this is one that's not in the manual.

I'm thoroughly fed up with this. HP ink cartridges cost enough.

The printers are getting junkier and junkier, too.

Looks like I'm going to have to BUY another HP cartridge. What can I do about getting a refund for this one? I ordered this one from HP.

HP used to be a company with integrity. Not any more. Junk junk junk.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

See here for warranty information for cartridges.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Yes, the warranty is obvious. I need more specific information.

HP Recommended

As stated in the link above:

How to make a claim, or return an HP Inkjet product

If a problem with an HP Inkjet product occurs, visit the retailer, call the regional customer support phone number listed on the product insert, or click Contact HP  on this page for more support options.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Click the Contact HP button yourself and see where it gets you.

HP Recommended

@crabpaws wrote:

Click the Contact HP button yourself and see where it gets you.

It gets you a list of locations.  Pick where you are located, click on that and drill down to the contact information.  You have not given any clue as to your location (and this is a worldwide forum) so it is difficult to give you specific advice for your case.  If you are in the US call 1-800-HPINVENt.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions in the package when I purchased a replacement cartridge. I was on the phone with 3 different phone personnal including 1 supervisor. Total time to get replacement cartridge shipped to me was 54 minutes.....It was a matter of principle after the first 20 minutes. Have your SN for your printer available (I know the problem is with the cartridge). I hope you registered your warrenty with HP when you purchased the printer. And know the phone number you used when (and if) you registed the printer.  GOOD LUCK 

HP Recommended

Sorry about your experience.  

It sounds like you got into the printer warranty path.  Early in the phone tree there should have been an option for supplies or printer warranty issues.  Taking the supplies path may have made this easier although I have to admit I have never called about a cartridge issue.  I did call about two years ago for a printer warranty issue and it did take close to an hour, in my case I had to find a USB cable to connnect my wireless printer for testing purposes.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

As per this forum thread, I called 1-800-HPINVENT. The lady, took my information and story about the ink cartridge being bad. She did not honor the warranty on the cartridge at all. She said i would have to buy another cartride to make sure the bad cartridge was bad. I told her "The printer works fine until i install this cartridge. Then the printer acts goofy because it's shorted out inside the cartridge. I take it out, and it works fine. The printer works fine on the previous cartridge until it ran out of ink."

If my car breaks down, do i need to buy a new car to know the other car is broken? no. That idea is silly. Then she started to blame everything else.

HP didn't honor their warranty.

I spent $21 on a cartridge that i never got to use.

Is it so hard to have me mail in the bad cartridge, test it out, confirm it's bad, and send me another one?

IMO, don't bother calling them.

UPDATE: I got lucky at the retailer i bought it from and exchanged the cartridge for another black one. I put the new one in, and it works great.

HP Recommended

I just had a similar experience. 30 minutes on the phone. Gave serial number of printer and then told to test another cartridge. When I advised that the problem started with the new cartridge, that I did not have this problem 3 days ago, I  then transferred for the 3rd time to another department. The department was closed.  Waste of time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.