Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi

We are trying to print from Win 8 and Win 7 laptops.   We have had the Win 8 laptop 1 year, the Win 7 laptop 4 years and the pritner 2 years.  Issues have only recently started.  We have tried with the usb cable connected, still no go. 

Can someone explain why the other forums are pointing to wireless issues?

We cannot print connected directly with a cable, can someone explain why we cannot print this way?

If I cannot print with a cable, is there a setting on the printer that has been inadvertently selected?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Download and run HP Print and Scan Dr utility from link below to troubleshoot the issue.

www.hp.com/go/tools

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Download and run HP Print and Scan Dr utility from link below to troubleshoot the issue.

www.hp.com/go/tools

HP Recommended

Hi - thanks so much.  Scan doctor fixed it automatically.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

HP Recommended

Since the last printer update, the printer has been offline and cannot get it to go online. (Laser Jet Pro MFP M225dw)

I have tried all of your suggested fixes but nothing works. Ran HP Print and Scan Dr utility and that will not let me uncheck "Use Printer offline". Resetting printer does not work. I am at wits end to get this back printing.

HP Recommended

Hi @albe2654

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that after a firmware update the printer is offline and you are unable to print.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

For Windows: http://hp.care/2q7gIj6

For Mac: http://hp.care/2q7BmzF

If the issue persists, please provide below information so that I can provide an accurate solution.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • Are you getting an error message when printing?

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done every option through #3. I cannot do #4 because there is no window that opens up where I can check to see what port is being used.

Whenever I try to print any document, it goes into the Que and just does not print.

The last time it worked okay was before the firmware update.

I am using Windows 8.1 Media Center

There is no error message. The display on the printer shows that it is Ready. The printer does scan to USB and a copy prints out of what I have in the printer for it to copy.

Whenerver I go through any option that I have tried so far that has a window that opens up when doing a richt-click, it always says: This device is working properly..

When I check the Printer Que and left click on Printer, the Use Printer Offline is checked and that cannot be unchecked with everything that I tried so far.

Should I try to do another firmware update? Where is the file for the update located?

I just dread having to go back and reinstall all of the installation software again if I can ever find the software.

HP Recommended

Hi @albe2654

You can download the firmware from the below link.

http://hp.care/2qk6rzJ

Update the firmware and check if that resolves the problem, if the issue persists, I recommend you to uninstall the printer completely and reinstall it. 

You can download the full feature software and drivers from the below link.

http://hp.care/2oUz2h7

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do not doubt your instructions, but when I went to download the files you had in your reply, they were for a HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer.

Just wanted to check before I really screwed anything up.

Allen

HP Recommended

@albe2654,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the drivers given in the last post were not for HP LaserJet Pro MFP M225dw.

Let me jump in with a solution for this issue in place of my colleague as he is out of the office today.

Please follow the steps listed below to uninstall and reinstall the software for HP LaserJet Pro MFP M225dw:

1. Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

2. Full Software and Drivers

3. Firmware Update Utility

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.