Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the upper right of the HP 8730 home window are the words "Sign In". This requires a PIN. How is the PIN/password established? Where would I find the PIN/password?

And, once the correct PIN/password is used, what is accessed via this "Sign In" portal?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @openmisere,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having an issue with setting up your HP Officejet printer. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you,

Here's a related HP Forum post which has helped others: Click here

If you're not sure of the PIN/Password, the only way to get rid of it would be to perform a Semi-full reset on the printer. I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Let me know if that helps. Thank you!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

have the same issue as described above. lost the PIN and do not know how to recover. please explain how to semi reset the printer in order to set a new PIN for Guest becoming a User

HP Recommended

Hi @edwren,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand that you lost the pin to access the printer and wants to reset the printer.
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help with your HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 All-in-One Printer.

As requested I am sending you a private message with the steps to do a semi-full reset on the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Keep me posted with the outcome.

I hope that the issue gets resolved without much hassle.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Don't understand the request for a PIN within the Sign In menu.  I just set up the 8730 and was never asked to supply a PIN in the printer setup.  One reference cited in this thread goes back to a WPS PIN.  My wireless LAN uses a WPA2 passphrase. I've never used WPS nor did I tell the HP 8730 about my wireless LAN if the first place.  The HP 8730 user manual says the wireless capabilities won't work with a network connected printer.  My HP 8730 is connected to my LAN via a wired ethernet connection.  The wireless green light on the printer is off yet I see a WiFi signal from the printer (SSID: DIRECT-E5-HP OfficeJet Pro 8730) that askes for a password when I initiate a request to connect.  So I am totally lost and the user manual doesn't address any of these questions from my viewpoint.  What is the Sign In PIN? How do I connect to the printer via my smartphone which is one of the advertised capabilities of the printer to print direct via WiFi ?  Maybe I have to go thru my LAN with its WiFi Access Point?

HP Recommended

just purchased the hp officejet pro 8730 on screen right corner asking for numeric PIN code.  where do I get this.  can you please email me or let me know how to acquire a pin does not give an "forot pin" option.  Thank you

Paym

HP Recommended
I have the same issue and was never asked to create a PIN. In the upper right of the HP 8730 touchpad are the words "Sign In". This requires a PIN. How is the PIN/password established? Where would I find the PIN/password?

And, once the correct PIN/password is used, what is accessed via this "Sign In" portal?
HP Recommended

No need for a PIN.  Just run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel like the instructions say to connect to your routers SSID with password.

HP Recommended
Good to know. I am all setup with Wi-Fi printer connection and working. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Your procedure connects the printer to my LAN wirelessly.  I use an Ethernet connection (wired).   I was attempting to connect DIRCTLY to the printer whose SSID is  DIRECT-E5-HP   I did finally find the 6-digit PIN in the HP provided docuementation and was able to easily establish a direct WiFi connection to the printer.  The conenction correclty tells you there is no Internet connectivity.  I remember there were some updates to the Android direct print app or Google Operating System which finally allowed my newer smartphone to print directly to the printer once I've connected to the printer's access point (AP).  My older smartphone had no problems printing direct.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.