Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Please provide instructions, link, or video on how to remove the printhead for an HP OfficeJetPro 6968 Printer.

I am unable to find any info in my search attempts.

Thanks,
PeteRepeat

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I would like to clean the printhead thoroughly, I ran the automated function numerous times with no success.

HP Recommended

Hi! @PeteRepeat, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you would like to know how to remove the printhead on the printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with a different ink cartridge?

Do you get any printhead errors on the printer?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Printhead on this printer is not customer replaceable. And if you need to replace the printhead it is a whole unit replacement from HP.

However, if you have printhead issues try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link. Click Here

Clean the ink cartridge vents and contacts

Reset the printer

In some cases, a printer reset can clear the error message.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot print head issues with your printer. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with the printer. I will share you few details through a private message about the service options dedicated to your printer.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@MrRobot,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately I am still at square one with my issue.

It appears there is a decent amount of various colored inks at the far right of the printer where the printheads rests.

My guess is this accumulation has "gunked" up the bottom of the printhead and causing my issue and requires a thorough cleaning.

I have checked printer ink levels and they are reading sufficient, updated the firmware, ran the clean printhead and smear functions numerous time, cleaned the cartridge contacts and vents, tried making a copy of a document to the printer which resulted in blank pages, I am not getting any errors, just blank pages.

I would expect to get a smear, smudge, etc.....nothing.

Admittedly, the printer doesnt get used on a regular basis, but it printed fine when needed and stopped suddenly.

Is there a last ditch effort that I can do to clean the print head manually?

Thanks,

PeteRepeat

HP Recommended

@PeteRepeat,

I am responding on behalf of @A4Apollo as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

It looks like a hardware failure and we have already tried all the possible troubleshooting. I recommend you steps suggested by MrRobot and check the available service options for your printer.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi  I have somewhat same the black ink will not print 

I am registered with Instant ink - received a bad cartridge that started this mess.  

I use my printer almost every day no problem till bad cartridge.  bad meaning the vent was tapped over.

check the vent on the cartridges  hope this helps you.

HP Recommended
Sold by: COYLBOD
The non-removable printhead makes cleaning difficult. I did manage to clean the colored nozzles, still working on the black. Warm the fluid as instructed, select the syringe size to fit the nozzle, suck the fluid into the syringe, carefully place the tube onto the printhead nozzle, pump the syringe in and out a few times. leave for an hour or two. Try again.  Allow to dry for a few hours to avoid shorting the prinhead, Clean up the mess all over any paper in the tray and below the printer, replace the cartridges, run the clean operation from the printer or computer. See the result. Repeat as needed to clear the dried out ink.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.  How did you clean the ink that was at the far right of printer?  Were you able to get it to work?

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my black ink cartridge. I had one in there, an HP one that was more than half full, i put an entirely new one in and still the same problem. I did all of the steps listed her and same issue. For other HP printers it says to pull out the tray and clean it, but for this one you'd have to take the whole printer apart. If the solution is "take a bunch of time using a syringe and special solution" or "it's broken, buy a new one" or anything that requires me to spend additional money, it seems unfair that if I had bought another model I would be able to handle this problem easily. 

HP Recommended

@amansion, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. Since this printer HP Officejet Pro 6968 printer does not have a removable printhead, servicing the printer or getting a replacement will the only option as you have tried all the troubleshooting steps. 

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.