Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I had a paper jam and after removing the jam I could not print from my computer as there was still "paper Jam" after the printer. Seems that I need to reset the printer but had no idea how to do so

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Bertiem,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are getting false paper jam error message on your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you checked for any obstructions inside the printer?

Have you tried to clean the cartridge contacts as well as the rollers?

Are you able to move the carriage freely?

Are you able to make a copy or print a test page from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer,  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8710_R1716A.exe 

Follow the steps suggested in the support document for Paper Jam - Click here

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks the issue has been resolved

HP Recommended

@Bertiem

Hi,

as @Jeet_singh is out of the office, I'm replying to you.

I'm glad that the issue is resolved and appreciate your efforts and patience.

If you feel that @jeet_sign was helpful in resolving the issue then please feel free to mark His post as accepted solution. This will also help others to find this solution quickly on the forums webpage. 

Happy printing! 🙂

HP Recommended

To further help with the resolution of my paper jam problem this is what I think happened.

I did remove the jam which was minor and made sure no residude paper was in the machine.

I also sucessfully printed test pages from the printer command however the printer was still giving a "Paper Jam" mode to my computer and thus would not print.

I tried using the "HP Print & Scan Doctor" about three times and on the last try the issues was resolved and the printer is now working from the comkputer and the "Paper Jam" mode is no longer there.

This was done BEFORE I received the information from you guys so I'm keeping that for future reference if the problem re-occurs

Thanks a million for your help and blessings

HP Recommended

@Bertiem

You're welcome. 🙂

I understand that you resolved the information on your own even before our solution has reached you.

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue by you. Kudos to you for that. 

Happy printing

HP Recommended

I tried doing hard reset but still I am getting Error code 'C'
Please help send advanced settings

HP Recommended

@Sam0905

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

To help you further with this, let us know the Printer name.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.