Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

After a short power putage my printer has stopped printing wirelessly. The HP diagnostic tool indicates the wrong port & cannot fix the problem. How do I designate the correct port?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Print a self-test from the front of the printer - does it have a valid IP address (not 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x)?

You could delete the printer from Control Panel > Printers, then:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's host name (found on the printer's network configuration report the generated above). Click Next.
If you get a message about Additional Port Information Required, then the printer was not found using the host name. You can go back and retry or using the printer's IP address instead of the host name.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Hi there, 

I have tried everything in the solution you have provided and I still cannot get my printer to print anything (including the test page mentioned in your post. Any further suggestions on what I could do? I'm running on Win7 with a wireless HP Deskjet 2540 series. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

HP Recommended

What router?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I have spent hours and hours trying to get my printer to work again.  FINALLY today I read this message.  Seems so easy once you know what to do!:)  I can now print.  THANK YOU!  Today was to be my last attempt as I had given up and bought a new printer last night.  I can return it so thanks again!

HP Recommended

My printer is a Canon-how did I get to HO?

HP Recommended

My printer is a Canon-how did I get to HP?

HP Recommended

@Proctor37 wrote:

My printer is a Canon-how did I get to HP?

You signed up for the wrong forum.  Please contact the good folks at Canon for all support. 

HP Recommended

Kudos to the HP employee that posted that answer.  That is the first time I have found that spelled out in a manner that really worked and it was very easy to follow.  I rarely find any help on the HP web site and I have looked plenty of times.  I can't beleive they do such a poor job with their support.  Many time I found myself in a loop and never solved my problem.

HP Recommended

Where do I find "Device Type" in your Step 6?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.