Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy5660

How can I change my printer from printing in single cartridge mode?  I saw an old post about unplugging it, but that didn't work.  I then saw replies where people said they removed a tab.  I'm not sure what they are talking about.  I always remove the plastic that is covering the ink surface, and I don't see any other kind of tabs on the cartridge.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Dawgfan115

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that your HP Envy 5660 is printing in single cartridge mode

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

I'll try my best to help and together we should be able to sort this out 😉

The Printer will automatically start printing in single cartridge mode if the cartridges are damaged or empty.

Do you have an adequate amount of ink left in all the cartridges?

Please remove the cartridges and clean the electrical contacts with a Lint-Free cloth.

Next Perform a Printer Reset and only install the cartridges when prompted by the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Also download the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5660-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6809225/mo... if you have a Windows PC

Please perform these steps at your convenience and keep me posted how it goes 👍

If the issue persists, we will try the Semi-Full Reset 

Thank you and have a Great day 😀

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and this will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did all that before I posted this question.  It does not work.

HP Recommended

@Dawgfan115

Thanks for keeping me posted

Since the issue persists, we will attempt a Semi-Full Reset

Since these are crucial steps, I will send you a private message with the instructions

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also did the reset that you recommended, but still printing in single cartridge mode.

HP Recommended

May I have semi-full reset instructions please?

HP Recommended

It is working properly now 😀

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.