Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have a family member that requires that their printer be placed on a public network.  I am trying to block all Mac Addresses except for their devices (iPhones and iPads).  I do not want the public to be able to print to their printer.  I went to the EWS of the printer -> security -> firewall settings but I cannot figure out how to use the templates accomplish this.  Any ideas or another method to accomplish this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Orthosize, Welcome to HP Support Community!

We'd suggest not to connect the printer to a public network and we do not guarantee the printing functionality over public networks.

Refer to the document HP Wireless Printers - Cannot Print over a Guest or Public Network for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I agree with not connecting to a public network.  However, the process of using WiFi Direct is too complicated for my elderly parents that are in assisted living.  Too many steps for them.  As a result, I am looking for another way.  I thought the printer could be set up to limit printing to their device MAC addresses (WiFI addresses on iOS devices).

If this is not is not possible, I would like to confirm.  Otherwise, if there is a better solution for an assisted living facility, I would be welcome to other suggestions.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Orthosize

You may type in the MAC address you want to allow or deny to access the router on the router's EWS page. However, you do not have this option on the printer's EWS page. In this case, where you are using a public network, you will not be able to use the MAC filtering feature as you are not the admin/owner of the router.

The only method is to use Wifi-Direct and change the default password to secure it.

For more info on connecting the printer via Wifi-Direct, refer to this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.