Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8620 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, recently I my HP printer displayed the "Printer Failure" message: "There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP"

I have attempted many hard resets and none have worked. I tried researching this "secret menu" before the printer starts to do the real factory reset, but I could not find the exact steps for this model. 

Can someone email me the procedure to do the actualy hard factory reset, and not the solutions of removing the ink cartridges, pulling the power, waiting 2-3 minutes? As I said before, that method is not resolving my problem.

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi! @dverrette, Welcome to HP forums

I understand you are getting you are getting printer failure error on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

As you mentioned you are getting printer failure or ink system failure error on your printer.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Performing a semi-full reset will not fix the problem, try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link: https://hp.care/2rU9xfY

Try replacing the faulty, low or empty ink cartridges on your printer and check if it helps.

Try removing and reseating the print head back into the printer 3 times and check if the issue persists.

Reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

note:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Remove the printhead

If there is paper obstructing the printhead or if the printhead is not seated correctly, it might cause an error message. Turn on the printer, and then remove the printhead.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

2. Place your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull to open the cartridge access door. Allow the carriage to move to the cartridge access area, and the carriage stops moving.

Figure : The slot on the side of the printer

Image: The slot on the side of the printer.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. Unplugging the printer prevents the carriage from moving.

WARNING:

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid risk of injuries or electric shock.

4. Lift the carriage latch.

Figure : Lift the carriage latch

Image: Lift the carriage latch.
  5. Grasp the sides of the printhead, gently lift and remove the printhead from the carriage.

NOTE:

Do not remove the cartridges from the printhead. You can safely remove the printhead with all of the cartridges inserted.

Figure : Remove the printhead

Image: Remove the printhead.

CAUTION:

The nozzle area on the bottom of the printhead is fragile! Make sure that the bottom of the printhead does not bump or rub on the printer. Do not touch the nozzles or electrical contacts. Touching these areas can cause electrical failures or print quality problems.

Figure : Nozzles and electrical contacts

1. Nozzles

2. Electrical contacts

6. Place the printhead assembly (with the cartridges still installed) upside down on a clean sheet of paper.

CAUTION:

Do not leave the printhead assembly outside of the printer for an extended period. Doing so can result in damage to the printhead or the printer.

Figure : Printhead upside down on a clean sheet of paper

Image: Printhead upside down on a clean sheet of paper.

Clean the ink cartridges, and then check the error message

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts, and then reinstalling the ink cartridges one at a time can help determine if a specific ink cartridge is causing the error message.

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth or a clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION:

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water.

3. Gently wipe the copper-colored contact on one of the ink cartridges.

Figure : Example of copper-colored contact

Example of copper-colored contact
  4. Wipe the contact with a dry, lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.

5. Repeat these steps for the three remaining ink cartridges.

6. Carefully reinsert each of the ink cartridges into its slot, and then push the ink cartridge down and forward until it clicks into place.

Figure : Reinserting the ink cartridge

Reinserting the ink cartridge
  7. Make sure each colored dot on the ink cartridge label matches the colored dot on the print carriage.

Figure : Matching the colored dot on the print carriage

Matching the colored dot on the print carriage
  8. Close the ink cartridge access door.

9. Check the printer control panel to see if the error message persists.

• If there is no error message, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the message is to Replace the, or Ink Cartridge, remove the specified ink cartridge(s) and clean the copper-colored contact again, and then reinsert the ink cartridge(s).

Also, Refer this article to further troubleshoot printer failure errors on your printer. Link: https://hp.care/2rU9hxK

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried these steps before and they did not work. I removed the cartridges, I removed the print head, I removed all the cords and plugged the printer directly to a wall  outlet, I've waited long periods of time while it was unplugged and held down the power button to discharge any stray voltage, none of these attempts worked.

The issue all started when a docx. file was printing, one page came out then the error message appeared. Maybe a bad kernel, a bad update, bad data transfered to the printer. 

It seems that something needs to be cleared. I would like to do a full memroy wipe of the printer. There is no way to update any firmware while the error message is on the printer, it doesn't allow you to do anything.

Can someone please help me do the factory reset?

HP Recommended

@dverrette, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Since you need the steps to perform a semi-full reset on your printer.

I would be sharing them in a private message since the steps are confidential.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

If the issue still persists after performing a semi-full reset on your printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Okay. Waiting for the instructions in my email.
HP Recommended

@dverrette, thanks for your quick response again.

As you mentioned you are waiting for the semi-full reset instructions.

I have already shared the steps with you. Please check your inbox at the top right corner of the forums page to check the private message.

Please find the attached image below to know how to check your private messages in forums.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there! I assume this worked as you did not post anymore (or you ended up getting a new printer!) 

This is exactly the issue I am having, and I was just wondering if it was solved with your instructions you received, or if you had to give up? Curious if there is hope for me! This is the first post I saw with the exact error message.

Thank you,

sa29

HP Recommended

Hi Dverrette,

Are you able to forward the private message? I have the same problem!

HP Recommended

Can someone send me the directions on how to do a full memory wipe out? 

HP Recommended

Hi I am having the same difficulties as listed above. I have done the hard reset and taken the cartridges out 3 times. And, I still have the error: the print head appears to be not detected. Can you help me out?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.