Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had found directions several months ago on how to remove and clean the print head, but I cannot find it now.  I replaced the Photosmart C6380 with a Photosmart 6515 because when the 6380 stopped working I had just purchased a large supply of ink and the 6515 used the same ink cartridge #.  However, the 6515 will not accept the cartridges with the error message that they are an older generation.  I think if the cartrides were not compatible, then a different cartridge number should have been used.  So now I want to try again to resolve the print head issue with the C6380 so I don't have to trash my whole ink supply. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is a document on how to clean the contacts on the cartridges themselves.

I think the removal of the printhead and cleaning it that you are wanting is located in this post here

Please note that the soaking of the printhead should only be done on printheads that are out of warranty. Check the warranty ends date on the printhead located by the contacts on the printhead to make sure that it is past warranty. The reason that I caution to that is a printhead soaking will void a warranty. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Here is a document on how to clean the contacts on the cartridges themselves.

I think the removal of the printhead and cleaning it that you are wanting is located in this post here

Please note that the soaking of the printhead should only be done on printheads that are out of warranty. Check the warranty ends date on the printhead located by the contacts on the printhead to make sure that it is past warranty. The reason that I caution to that is a printhead soaking will void a warranty. 

HP Recommended
Thanks so much! It worked and was easy to do. My only suggestion is to add the warning to cover the work area with paper towels and have lots of extra paper towels to catch any drips.
HP Recommended

No problem! I am always happy to help out! Happy Printing! :generic:

HP Recommended
Except...if there is ant amount of time ( a few minutes) between jobs I still get the eerie message that the printhead has failed. I turn the printer off and back on as directed and it will print. I stopped using the printer a few months ago when turning it off and back on stopped working. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
HP Recommended
Sorry about the typos "any" and "error".
HP Recommended

The soaking is a last attempt to do on the printhead before one is facing having to replace the printhead or the machine.  That is why I stress the importance of making sure that the printhead is out of warranty before proceeding. 

HP Recommended

The printhead for my 6515 does not include a lever for removal. I've tried cleaning it from both the printer menu as well as from the computer. What do I do now? Colors print fine, just not black ink.

HP Recommended

@ njhpuser - I am sorry that you are having print quality issues with your printer and the black ink. I would do a manual cleaning on the cartridge contacts to ensure that buildup was not the cause of the poor print quality. The steps to clean the contacts are shown below.

1. Gather the following materials:

2. Clean, lint-free swabs that will not come apart or leave fibers
  3. A sheet of paper to place the cartridges on
  4. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  5. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the access area.
    Figure 13: Open the cartridge access door
    Image: Open the cartridge access door
  6. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  7. Press the tab on the front of the cartridge in to release it, and then pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.
    Figure 14: Remove the cartridge from the slot
    Image: Remove the cartridge from the slot
  8. Hold the cartridge by its sides, and then find the electrical contacts on the bottom of the cartridge. The electrical contacts are four small rectangles of copper-colored metal.
    Figure 15: Cartridge contacts
    Image: Cartridge contacts
    1 - Cartridge contacts
  9. Inspect the contacts for ink and debris buildup.
  10. Wipe the contacts with a swab until no debris remains on them.
    CAUTION:Be careful to wipe only the contacts. Do not smear any ink or debris elsewhere on the cartridge.
  11. Turn the cartridge on its side, and then place it onto the sheet of paper.
  12. Locate the electrical contacts in the cartridge slot. The contacts are four copper-colored pins.
    Figure 16: Location of the cartridge slot contacts
    Image: Location of the cartridge slot contacts
  13. Wipe the contacts with a swab until no debris remains on them.
  14. With the contacts facing down, slide the cartridge into its slot. Press down on the cartridge until it clicks into place.
    Figure 17: Insert the cartridge
    Image: Insert the cartridge
  15. Repeat these steps to clean and reinsert any of the other cartridges.

I would then look at this document here if you are still havering an issue after the cleaning is complete. It addresses poor print quality issues in your model of printer. It will give you troubleshooting steps to try in an attempt to fix the issues that you are having with the printer. If you complete the document and find that the issue is not resolved, one is looking at product replacement.

HP Recommended

I am unable to print nor copy. The message says print ead problem. HELP!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.