Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
DeskJet F4280
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My F4280 gave me an error "E" code and out of black ink indicator. I replaced the ink cartridge with a brand new / good cartridge of the correct sie/type. When I closed the door the error continued. I found another thread from 2018 describing the exact same situation and I followed HP's recommendation of disconnecting power from printer while its still on, then disconnect other cable, then hold power button off for 15 sec. I did this and the printer started up as it is supposed to when plugged back into power but the error message still persists. HP informed the prior thread poster to direct message them for instructions on "resetting the printer". That was the last message on that thread and I apparently cannot contact HP directly for this product. Can anyone help me reset my printer? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@UCSC_DSP

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then click on this Document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-series/3390945/model/339094... and follow "Issue: The Check Print Cartridge lights blink"

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

This did not solve the problem. Printer still showing "E" code. Do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@UCSC_DSP

Could you please help me with the exact error on the printer?

Remove the cartridges and close the door and check if the error persists.

Make sure the carriage is moving freely.

Just install one cartridge close the door and check for the error message.

Similarly, try with the other cartridge.

Meanwhile, refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-series/3390945/model/339094... for Faded, Missing, or Dull Colors in Printouts.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this did not work. Everything behaved normally (no error code) with the color cartridge only. However, I'm still getting an error code with any black cartridge and I have tried several. Whatever problem exists appears to be on the black cartridge side only. 

HP Recommended

@UCSC_DSP

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: https://www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I tried this without success. I enter the serial number of the unit, and there is no option for one-on-one support. I can't even find a phone number to call. The only option is "Visit HP Support Community" which is what I did when I started this thread. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.