Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Like it says up in the subject, I need to know how to do this. I tried to do it by typing in the IP of the printer into a browser, but then I lost connectivity with it all together. If someone could help, that would be amazing!!

Thanks in advance!

TechGirl88

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The only way I can think of to do this is by logging into the Embedded Web Server(EWS) of the printer. You can either type the IP into the browser, or right-click on the Digital Imaging Monitor icon in your system tray, selecting your printer, and then select Open EWS. You'll need to enter the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway as well a Primary DNS Server.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

First, let's see if your printer is actually connected to your network.

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.  If it is 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x then the printer is not connected.  You will have to re-connect it using the same method you did originally.

Now that it is connected, this is how to set a static IP:

- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings. (if this does not work, you likely have a firewall and/or security system blocking it - please advise).
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I need a Ip address for my printer

HP Recommended

On the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.