Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 6234
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Under the Printer update/Firmware update page it will not let me check the 'Do not check for updates' button

I have bought some refurbished ink cartridges and they will not work in my printer.

There must be a way to stop these automatic updates?!

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@olitob 

@olitob wrote:

1.  Under the 'Printer Updates' option there is an option:

'Do not check for updates' - but this is frozen - it won't let you select it. Is there a way around this?

2.  HP's original cartridges are not only very expensive but have far less ink in them than some remanufactured cartridges.

3.  Will I always have to pay for the original cartridges now?

1. Yes, I understand.  Yes, the option is "frozen" and is not available to be changed.  The option appears the same on my Officejet Pro 9025.  I am not aware of a way to bypass the setting.  I am sorry I did make that clear originally.

2.  I am not here to convince you to change your mind.  I have never used refilled / remanufactured ink cartridges in any printer that I have owned, maintained, or for which I have been responsible.   I refer you to   About Original HP Cartridges .

3.  Only if you cannot get the "other" cartridges to work will it be necessary to use HP Ink in your HP printer. 

Discussion

The obvious solution you seek is not available.

I knew going in that this is not the answer wanted.

Some of us do answer questions for which the answer is, "Sorry, no."

I sympathize with your plight but can do nothing for it.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@olitob 

I am sorry you are disappointed.

The Answer

You are correct - Firmware updates are mandatory.

Yeah, but...

Updates don't matter - you cannot pry the firmware out of the printer and any future firmware updates won't magically undo the built-in protections and limitations. 

For those reading:

Reference to firmware - including the Description regarding non-HP supplies

HP ENVY Photo 6200 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update

Excerpt

Description

This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Fixes and enhancements for more detail about the firmware update.

Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at: www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

Calls  About Original HP Cartridges

Read document, Scroll down to Section Dynamic Security

Click on the "Learn More" link

=================================================

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Photo 6234 All-in-One Printer

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Under the 'Printer Updates' option there is an option:

'Do not check for updates' - but this is frozen - it won't let you select it. Is there a way around this?

HP's original cartridges are not only very expensive but have far less ink in them than some remanufactured cartridges. Will I always have to pay for the original cartridges now?

HP Recommended

@olitob 

@olitob wrote:

1.  Under the 'Printer Updates' option there is an option:

2.  HP's original cartridges are not only very expensive but have far less ink in them than some remanufactured cartridges.

3.  Will I always have to pay for the original cartridges now?

1. Yes, I understand.  Yes, the option is "frozen" and is not available to be changed.  The option appears the same on my Officejet Pro 9025.  I am not aware of a way to bypass the setting.  I am sorry I did make that clear originally.

2.  I am not here to convince you to change your mind.  I have never used refilled / remanufactured ink cartridges in any printer that I have owned, maintained, or for which I have been responsible.   I refer you to   About Original HP Cartridges .

3.  Only if you cannot get the "other" cartridges to work will it be necessary to use HP Ink in your HP printer. 

Discussion

The obvious solution you seek is not available.

I knew going in that this is not the answer wanted.

Some of us do answer questions for which the answer is, "Sorry, no."

I sympathize with your plight but can do nothing for it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I understand

I would like to contact HP on this matter to see if there is a way to 'unfreeze' the setting, but I have tried and it is impossible to get through to anybody on technical support after navigating all the phone menus (I'm in the UK), and the webchat bot is useless. Won't they let us speak to real people??

Sorry, I'm just frustrated

HP Recommended

@olitob 

OK, so answered.

As to the other ...

Disclaimer:  All that I say, everything I write, and anything that I imply is of my own doing.  I do not speak for HP Support nor do my views have any impact on any HP policy or statements.

Discussion

There are ways to contact HP Support for the purpose of trying to get HP to change its policy on protecting technical property rights - neither of these will likely make a difference to the hordes of lawyers nor will either of them get you what you want.

Options

Open a case with HP Support 

Explain the situation, what you want, and ask for a special dispensation for your printer so you can use refilled cartridges in it.  Know that HP Support charges a fee for Out-of-Warranty Support.  HP Contact information is available near the end of this message.

Express your View right here on the Community

Start here   Your Voice

Select HP Cafe and Lounge

or

Select Community Feedback & Suggestions

Read / Scroll down to the bottom and Click "Ask the Community"

Write down what you want to say and Post.

Although HP does not have any official presence on the Community, words and messages are read.

Contact HP via email - this is NOT HP Support - you cannot ask for help with a device, for example

Your message will perhaps engender a response - a polite response, certainly although your message will not result in a change the policy.  The good news is that this is a way for you to explain how you feel, why you believe your view is correct, and to offer solutions of your own.

HP.inc CEO Contact via Email

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

USA / Canada

Contact Official HP® Support | HP® Customer Support

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Reminder:  HP Phone numbers you find on the Internet have likely been hijacked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK

For faster support, first submit information / case online: HP Customer Support UK

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

READ:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Reminders

HP Support does not publicly post contact numbers.  Please submit your case online

• Provide all the requested information to submit your online case
  • Explain the problem > Ask for help
  • Submit the case
  • After the case is submitted, Contact information for your area will be displayed on your screen
  • Reminder:  Wait times can be long – HP Response centers are very busy.

• Use Device Serial Number to submit the case (do not post private information on the Community).
  • Chat is not available in every region.  In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.
  • HP will advise you when there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.
  • HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by contract package.
  • HP websites are the only sites allowed to use the HP copyright  ® circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.  Still in doubt?  Stay away from the site.

Warranty Check

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.