Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Connected printer to wireless network using phone with no problem.  When I install the hp software on my pc and try to add the printer on the same wifi network, the printer is not found.  This needs to be resolved asap as I need to print.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Joe789

I understand your concern. Will definitely pass on the feedback to the concerned team 🙂

Try adding the printer using the TCP/IP address-

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Community.

I'm happy to assist you 🙂 

Can you please try the below fix; 

Printer not found

Let me know if this works.

Thank You,

SPTheGeek

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

No, this did not resolve my problem.  Again, my cell phone sees the printer just fine.  My laptop will not find the printer.  The laptop is in the same wifi network as the printer and I am able to ping the network address of the printer successfully from my laptop.

HP Recommended

Have completely set up the printer again from scratch with my laptop.  It seems to set up fine until I try to add a printer...then it does not show up and is not found.  This piece of crap is about to go back to the store.

HP Recommended

Thank you for performing the steps that I recommended to resolve the issue. 

I kindly request you to get in touch with our Contact HP support as that would be more convinent for you. 

Thank You,

SPTheGeek

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Printer is connected via WiFi to my iPad but when trying to connect to my PC it fails. The PC CAN see the printer on the network but comes to a halt when trying to install. Pop-up says “Unsuccessful Network Installation - The device was unable to be installed over the network”. Troubleshooting tells me what I need to do is completely uninstall the printer and start from scratch. Well that’s not happening because that took some time. Surely there must be another way? 

HP Recommended

@joyceandtom, Welcome to HP Support Community!

First, I'd recommend you perform RPC. Here is how you do it-

1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 10 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router. Wait until Internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Turn on the computer.

Run the software and continue with installation. If it fails, Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Also, Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

None of the steps above worked.

The problem in my case lies in the fact that my PC is NOT connected to wireless network. It is connected to the router with LAN cable. All of the HP software I use is trying to get an SSID of the wireless network, and when it fails to get an SSID (Wireless network name), it assumes that it can't find the printer. Well, guess what? Even though there is no SSID or wireless adapter on my PC, you can still reach the printer if you just attempted to use an IP address directly! THIS IS VERY BAD SOFTWAE DESIGN! Please pass this to your software development team so they can release the fix ASAP! Otherwise this printer remains unusable for me and many others!

Thank you

HP Recommended

@Joe789

I understand your concern. Will definitely pass on the feedback to the concerned team 🙂

Try adding the printer using the TCP/IP address-

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks @TEJ1602, your solution worked for me. Hope it helps others too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.