Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Macbook Pro 2011-2012
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have tried everything and searched hours trying to figure out why my printer rarely prints. I feel like the issue is a WiFi connection issue as we didn't start having this problem until we were forced to get a new modem. It will often print great if you print from your phone but trying to print from my computer or laptop will sometimes take an hour and then it will start printing.  Or it won't print at all.

I have twice now uninstalled and re-installed new drivers with no luck. Both the computer's and the printer are on the same WiFi and it easily prints copies or test pages initiated on the printer but it rarely prints in a timely fashion or at all from my computer. I  just am not sure what else to do. 

Any help in trying to fix this matter so we can print when wanted would be great!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Honeysmom, Welcome to HP Support Community!

This could be an issue with the installed drivers or connectivity. Let us first try and isolate the issue-

• Have you tried printing from a different device, a mobile device maybe?
  • Is it an issue printing from all applications or one particular application?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, I guess this didn't post the other day.

This could be an issue with the installed drivers or connectivity. Let us first try and isolate the issue-

• Have you tried printing from a different device, a mobile device maybe? - Yes per the original email it seems to print better from my iPhone, sometimes it still says not connected when it is connected but we have better success from the phone than from the computer. (But it is still spotty from the mo
  • Is it an issue printing from all applications or one particular application? - All applications, word, photoshop, internet, photos etc.
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer? - I don't believe so I have a Mac and I don't have anything installed
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? - What am I supposed to put in the network address to ping?

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. - I will check with them it is AT&T hopefully I get someone that is knowledgable enough to answer this question.

HP Recommended

I think I was supposed to use the IP address on my printer? If so this was the results

Ping has started…

PING 192.168.1.75 (192.168.1.75): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=4.527 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=5.987 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=5.867 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=18.979 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=4.558 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=5.115 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=27.668 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=4.785 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=4.360 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.75: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=4.742 ms

--- 192.168.1.75 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.360/8.659/27.668/7.603 ms

HP Recommended

@Honeysmom

Thanks for replying! Yes, the ping results are exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate your efforts and time. To resolve the issue, follow the steps below-

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am working on this..

Update Printer Firmware - the printer was already updated

Updated software on Mac - It did say I had an update so I updated it

I removed the printer

I am adding the printer selecting "Use" AirPrint, it says Setting up 'HP ENVY 5660 series...' - I've tried this twice and it says "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time.

HP Recommended

I tried again after restarting my printer but this time it just got stuck and setting up device it wouldn't go any further.

HP Recommended

@Honeysmom

Try the following steps-

1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 10 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router. Wait until Internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Turn on the computer.

Once the connectivity is restored, try adding the printer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, first I wanted to say that prior to these instructions I am able to add the printer but not using the Air Print (while this photo only shows Secure AirPrint if I give it a few a minute the normal Air Print does show up). It looks like this I have to select the HP ENVY 5660 series for it to add

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 8.00.09 AM.png

I was able to print immediately from my phone and then one time immediately from my computer. But what happens is after I printed from the computer it is like the printer still thinks it is printing even though it is done. So when you try to print again it hangs up. I did go into my printer and click X to complete the printing job but my printer still says in use.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 7.59.40 AM.png

However today I am going to try your instructions to see if the computer will print on Air Print

HP Recommended

It connected immediately with Air Print following those steps! I was able to print twice in a row which feels like it is Christmas morning!

I would like to try again later today before marking this solved to just make sure it is still working if you don't mind.

Would I need to follow these same steps from my laptop as well? I haven't tried it from there but I'm assuming if the issue was with the drivers or needing to reinstall on my computer I would need to do the same for the laptop.

Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely check back to let you know if it is working later today which we can then hopefully marked it as solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.