Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased my HP 8610 printer one year ago. shortly after I sighed up for the HP Instant Ink program. Recently noticed my original HP 950 Black cartrige was almost empty. I logged on to the Instant ink web site to check my status.  It reported that my black cartridge was a "Non Instant Ink". I removed the cartridge and read the label, it said it was a Setup cartridge. Why does this matter and why can't the Instant Ink program read it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Lvbear,

Thanks for getting back to us. I would be happy to look into this with you.

Please send me a private message with your account number or email address and I would be happy to look into sending you the welcome kit if needed. Also, confirm that the address on your account is correct.  🙂

If you need further assistance, please let me know the following information above.

Please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

When you say, what can't the instnat ink program read it? - do you mean that you can't read the cartridge ink levels on your account page?

It certainly doen't matter that it's a non-instant ink cartridge as te printer will accept a mix instant and non-instant ink cartridges but to get the full savings that instant ink offers, it's best to have all instant ink cartridges installed.  If you recived a welcome kit, this should have a replacement instant ink cartridge that you can use.

"
"Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Correct ! The Instant Ink account can't read the "Black" cartridge ink level. The account can read my color carteidges but not the black.  It said the cartridge is a Non Instant Ink. Not sure what that means.

I never received a welcome kit and as a matter of fact I have never received one Instant ink cartridge. All my cartridges are the original ones that came with the printer. 

HP Recommended

Hello Lvbear,

Thanks for getting back to us. I would be happy to look into this with you.

Please send me a private message with your account number or email address and I would be happy to look into sending you the welcome kit if needed. Also, confirm that the address on your account is correct.  🙂

If you need further assistance, please let me know the following information above.

Please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, I take it the kit will come with new cartridges to replace the setup cartrdges. 

HP Recommended

Hello Lvbear,

You're welcome! : )

I'm not sending the welcome kit, only the black ink cartridge. You have subscription tri-color cartridges installed. Therefore, I can tell that you received the 'welcome kit', otherwise, they would say "trial-subscription" instead. Once the color cartridges get low replenishment's will be triggered automatically. The reason that the black cartridge was not triggered automatically is because it is a non-Instant Ink cartridge. 

The printer will monitor your ink levels and printing patterns, if you start printing a lot you may receive an extra set to help ensure you don't run out.

NOTE: We do not send you ink cartridges on a monthly basis, we will only send new ink when the printer has sent our servers a notification that the levels are low. This is approximately when a cartridge has enough ink to print twice the number of average pages included in your monthly plan. To ensure that you receive your replacement cartridges in a timely manner, we strongly recommend that you leave your printer powered on at all times. If your printer is powered off for days at a time it may not send information correctly to our servers which may cause a delay in ink shipments. 

I hope this helps. 🙂 

Have a great night! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Just curious, why did i have this issue with only the black cartridge and not the color?
HP Recommended

Hello Lvbear,

Thanks for the reply. 🙂 

The reason that the black cartridge was not triggered automatically is because it is a non-Instant Ink cartridge that you have installed. Instant Ink cartridges have a chip on them that communicate with the Instant Ink servers, regular cartridges do not. 

I hope this helps. 🙂 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.