Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

Hi,

Recently my Hp officejet printer 4650 has stopped printing in color. I have tried the solution I found on the Hp website , but it did not work. It used to print in color no problem but now it will not. I have changed out ink even though my color is 3/4 full and still that did not  work. What else can I do?

Thanks,

Dana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The ink and anything I use is genuine HP product. What I ended up doing is uninstalling all recent drivers and that worked. lol Not sure why that did it, but I noticed that the new updated drivers stopped the printer from printing in color. So what I did was  select not to have the printer drives updated. 

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Daynay

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the HP Office Jet 4650 printer is not printing in color,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if the issue persists while creating a copy as a stand alone printer?

If you haven't, please try making a copy on your printer. Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the color copy option to make a color copy. If the copy is working fine, then the issue could be with the printer drivers. Try the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click here to find and install the basic printer drivers for your model
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

I tried the solution you mentioned, but it still prints in black and white. I have also checked the drivers and they are up to date. It use to work just fine last week , and now it just stopped working.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Daynay

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you follow the below steps:

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Visit HP SureSupply to check ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies.

1. Go to HP SureSupply.

2. If necessary, select your country/region.

Figure : Country/region selector

Selecting your country/region
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your printer.

You can also purchase genuine HP cartridges and supplies from other retailers.

If using genuine HP ink cartridges did not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Allow automatic servicing to complete

Your HP printer has an automatic servicing routine that can solve many print quality issues. There is nothing you need to do. The print quality should improve a few hours after you experience the issue.

If you cannot wait for the automatic servicing routine to complete, continue with the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 3: Check the paper

Make sure the paper is appropriate for the print job. If it is not, reload the printer with an appropriate paper type.

NOTE:

To purchase paper in the United States and Canada, go to HP Home & Home Office.

• Load the paper print side down in the input tray. Many papers have printing and nonprinting sides, like photo paper and other special media. Usually, the smoother side is the "print side," and sometimes the non-print side has a logo of the paper manufacturer on it.

• Do not use wrinkled or curled paper. Load only clean, wrinkle-free paper into the product.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

If Color or Black Ink is Not Printing anymore: Click here for further instructions.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

The ink and anything I use is genuine HP product. What I ended up doing is uninstalling all recent drivers and that worked. lol Not sure why that did it, but I noticed that the new updated drivers stopped the printer from printing in color. So what I did was  select not to have the printer drives updated. 

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@Daynay

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help it made me think : ) 

have a wonderful weekend

HP Recommended

@Daynay

Thanks for the reply.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't see Accept solution anywhere on the post I recieved. I did give thumbs up.

Dana Loy

HP Recommended

How did you uninstall drivers or know which one to unistall?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.