Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Lenovo Ideapad 110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help! Our printer is printing non-stop! We cannot make heads nor tails of the issue, we have tried changing the network, to no avail, unplugging and repugging, no dice, and the printer seems to have a mind of its own about printing, even when there is no paper. We have had to shut down the whole thing to get it to stop. This may be because our modem died not too long ago, but even HP Smart is at a loss as to what to do. Please help us!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@carrot35 

If the printer is reprinting jobs (that are) stuck in the queue,

Reset the Print Services

Print Queue / Print Service Reset

If the print job will not cancel or if the print job is stuck in the queue

If the issue is due to Print Services being stuck / hung, the following should fix the problem.

Stop print service, clear the print folder, Start print service

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down, find, Right-Click, and Stop Print Spooler Service

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder and Delete the files from folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

Start Print Spooler Service

If the content that is printing is "from somewhere else", that is, you do not recognize the job(s),

Consider:

Unwanted Flyers or Ads on the Printer

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but now we have a new problem. The printer now will not print anyhing at all! Word says error, 1 document waiting, and I do not know what is going on. I followed everything exactly as you said. Please help us.

HP Recommended

@carrot35 

The solution provided was intended only for the purpose stated - to reset the Print Service.

• There should not be "one document waiting" once you clear stop the Print Service > clear the print folder > Restart the Print Service.  Once the Print Service is stopped, you should be able to delete the files in the Print folder.

Check to make sure the Print Service is running again after having cleared the Print folder.

Easy method: Restart the computer and log in to restart the Print Service 

I can offer the following:

1.  If you have not done so, consider:  Restart everything, including your network router

2.  Ensure that the Temp folder is assigned read-write access to anyone who needs to print.

• Temp folder requires full permissions, including Read / Write, for current user
  • Check / add / edit permissions for user (current login) on Temp folders

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\Temp

Example

Temp_Folder_Permissions_1.JPGTemp_Folder_Permissions_1

3.  If you changed the permissions on your FireWall (security software), make sure you did not (by mistake) lock out the printer software.  If you have not checked at all, take a look at your security software logs and settings to be sure something has not updated and / or blocked printing.

4.  Check Windows Updates - if the computer is waiting for a Restart after Updates have been installed, all sorts of things can hang, stick, or behave in other than expected ways.

5.  If you have not done so, it is time to see what the Doctor says about the problem(s) you are seeing:

The Doctor:  HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Links to:  HP Printers - Using HP Print and Scan Doctor (Windows)

6.  Consider removing (uninstalling) the printer software completely > Restart > Download-save-install the Printer Software.  After the printer software is reinstalled, consider (if you have not done so) updating the Firmware.

Your printer software:

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Full Feature Software and Drivers

Your Printer Firmware:

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hey!  Is it still printing? My printer won't print at all - keep getting printer mismatch error!  I called HP Support and Darvin, the rep, told me to go buy another brand printer! Unbelievable! 

So, can I email you my document and you stick it in your printer queue? Maybe I can at least get my document printed!  HA HA!

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 3830 printer unable to stop printer from printing.

HELP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.