Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
H P office jet 4650 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer ink cartridges set in default won't print in black

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Janzette

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

As I understand from your post, the printer is not printing in black.  I'd be happy to help you resolve this issue. 

To better assist you - 

1) What's the application that you are printing from?

2) Are you able to make a black & white photocopy? 

3) Are you using genuine HP inks? 

While you respond to that, I'd suggest you check the inks levels - On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels.

• If the ink level is low, replace the ink cartridge.
  • If the ink level is fine, print a Print Quality Diagnostic Report. 

To print a Print Quality Diagnostic Report - 

1) Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.
2) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.
3) Touch Tools.
4) Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Reply back with the picture of the Print Quality Report. 

Or, you may also refer to this document - HP Printers - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Don't know the application you are talking about no not able to print black &white  it says the cartridges are in default and yes they are genuine cartridges. Ink levels are good

HP Recommended

@Janzette

Application is Word or Adobe. Try cleaning the ink cartridges. Refer to step# 3, 4 and 5 from this document

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried what you said it still won't print so I don't know where to go from here thanks

HP Recommended

@Janzette

Appreciate you trying the steps. This looks like an issue with the ink cartridge. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this, they should be able to help.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer is out of warranty it is like a a couple of months I got the extended warranty but they don't want to help

HP Recommended

Just wanted to thank you for trying to help me with this problem. I appreciate it very much

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @Janzette

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

my 4650's warranty expired in July 2019. My black ink stopped printing and I put in my new Black Instant Ink CArtridge. System thinks I have full black ink and 50% of the color now, but it doesn't print the black on multiple cartridge cleanings and other recommended reports. in short, Just put in the new big 63/302 cartridge from HP and it still doesn't print in black. I have another instant ink black I could replace this one with, but it shows as 'full"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.