Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Just changed my internet provider from Talk talk to Sky

i have a new sky router 

nothing is playing now, cannot get the wizard to set up the wireless, I cannot get the printer to print with a Ethernet cable fitted, I am using windows 10 on my laptop 

just driving me crazy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Allan1957,

Your printer will work fine if you keep the printer connected to the router using the ethernet cable. Ethernet connection is also a form of network and hence all the computers in the network can print to the printer as long as the printer is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

But yes, your printer is an older model and if you need a stand-alone wireless printer to work with your new router / computers, I would suggest you go to a newer model printer. 

Thank you & Have a great week end!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@Allan1957

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

According to your last conversation with the HP Tech on Forums, 
I believe you were referred to phone support for further assistance to replace the printer as nothing seemed to have helped,

I just needed clarification, is this related to the same printer but with a different ISP or is this something completely different from your last concern as I see the same printer model on your subject line?

Please reply with the details so that I may provide assistance to help resolve your concern,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All that's happened is I changed internet provider from talk talk to sky, for some reason I cannot get to print with a cable Ethernet connection, I have try delete software and start again, I have put printer to factory settings, I have gone power down the printer 10 times, I cannot print at all, I am confused why all as stopped, the error message says when I print is the printer shows error on printer, HELP

HP Recommended

@Allan1957

Thank you for replying,

I see you haven't answered all my questions but I'm willing to make an attempt to help you out,

If the issue occurred after the internet service provided was changed, did you check if the new IP address is saved on your printer?
I recommend you redo the wireless setup for the printer: Click here for details.

And here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Next to status it says error, I am trying to get the hp6840 to work with the Ethernet cable, just a cable connection before I set up the wireless connection, I am confused why I cannot print now, I have logged into the printer to check IP address is the same as the printout, I can confirm it us the same, 

HP Recommended

@Allan1957

Thank you for replying,

I understand it may seem confusing at first, 

however, if you could look into the detailed steps mentioned on how to setup your printer wirelessly, it will give you all the information you need.

Here's the link for your again: Click here

I recommend you try this first and once this is fixed, we can work on the wired/ethernet cable connection as well
One step at a time is what I suggest.

Keep me posted,
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done all of that, I have logged into my sky router and my printer is trusted

i still cannot get the printer to work wireless 

if I put the cable to the printer to the laptop, it does not work or print

if I connect the router to the printer, I can print

i cannot get the printer to work wireless to my router

help me please

HP Recommended

Forgot to mention following the message I just sent, I am on Windows 10

HP Recommended

Following the other 2 messages, I used the HP print and scan doctor

ticked every box saying ok

But sad to say, no wireless connection 

HP Recommended

Hello @Allan1957,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Going through your post, your printer is able to get an IP address when connected to the router via the ethernet cable, but still unable to print.

This might be due to the fact that the Deskjet 6840 printer do not have HP driver download option since this is an older model. I would suggest adding the printer using the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•                     Restart you PC & the printer. Make sure you connect the printer to the router to get a valid IP address.

•                     Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer".

•                     While the Windows is searching for the printer, click "The printer I want is not listed".

•                     Now click the option which says "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings".

•                     In the next windows, select "Use an existing port". "LPT1" will be selected by default.

•                     When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•                     Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

•                     Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.

•                     Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.

•                    Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.

•                     Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.

•                     Go to http://hp.care/2bYE4kP and follow the "Step 3" for instructions.

Once done, try to print to the new printer and check.

Let me know how that goes!

Thank you 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

​​​​​​​

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.