Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Done all of the above, still not working wireless

will only print if I plug the printer into the sky router

help me somebody 

HP Recommended

Hello @Allan1957,

Thanks for the reply & appreciate your efforts!

I guess I see the problem here. Your printer supports only "Wireless Ethernet" option. That is, you need to connect the printer to the router using the "Ethernet" cable. Once the connection is made, you need to install the full feature printer software. The software will then convert the ethernet connection to a stand-alone wireless connection. Once this is done, you can remove the ethernet cable and use the printer as a complete wireless unit.

Unfortunately, HP does not have the Windows 10 full feature software for this printer since this is an older model. You need a computer running Windows Vista or Windows XP to have the full feature software for this printer. Otherwise, you will have to rely on the ethernet connection from the printer to the router to have the printer connected to the network.You were able to install the printer on your Windows 10 computer previously was because the printer was connected to the network on your old network. But when you changed the network, you have to do this all over again.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Thank you & Have a great weekend.

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
You are correct in saying I can only print cable from the router to the printer
I am confused why it worked ok on windows 10 when I was with talk talk
Now moved to sky on my broadband and cannot get the same laptop to connect wirelessly to the same printer
HP Recommended
Just had a thought
Perhaps I could do one of two things
Take my laptop back to the time I had the settings on talk talk & try the wizard to connect to the new router

Or perhaps take my laptop back to the Windows 7 operating system before I upgraded
HP Recommended

Hello @Allan1957,

The reason you were able to get it working on the Windows 10 previously was because the printer was already connected to your network wirelessly while you installed the printer. Hence you didn't have to convert the ethernet to wireless. You only installed the printer on your Windows 10 while the printer was already there in the network wirelessly. The printer was on the network all the time until you changed the router.

I hope that answers your concern adequately, and if so, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated. 

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Would you agree that the only way I could get a printer to work wirelessly on my laptop would be to buy a new and more modern HP printer and send my hp 6840 to the the land of no return, hence: take it down the tip
HP Recommended

Hello @Allan1957,

Your printer will work fine if you keep the printer connected to the router using the ethernet cable. Ethernet connection is also a form of network and hence all the computers in the network can print to the printer as long as the printer is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

But yes, your printer is an older model and if you need a stand-alone wireless printer to work with your new router / computers, I would suggest you go to a newer model printer. 

Thank you & Have a great week end!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
I noticed on the printout info when logging into my printer it says wireless not enabled, do you think that may be a problem
HP Recommended

Hello @Allan1957,

Thanks for the reply!

You can only enable the wireless using the software. Please check http://hp.care/2hiKpvs for details.

Try using the ethernet cable for a network connection like I mentioned in my above post.

Good luck & Merry Xmas 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Now I am confused, I can now print with the cable connected to the printer

i use the Wizard logging into my printer connected to the sky router, still cannot get the wireless to work 

help me !!!!!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.