Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't change my printer preferences.  I have a function address protection fault and error code.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for contacting HP.

We would like to understand what is the error message you are getting. Please mention the exact error message.

Also try the steps below:- 

1) Remove the Ink Cartridges, clean the golden copper contacts on the cartridges using lint free cloth and water.

2) Leave for drying for 2 minutes, then Reinstall the cartridges.

3) Also connect the unit directly to a wall outlet.

4) Pull the trays, ensure no jammed papers are there, 

5) Also lift the top cover and check the carriage area for any jam.

6) There is a cover inside, remove the cover to check for any jam, remove anything found.

7) Install the cover back, close the top cover.

😎 Power off and Power on the printer and check the results.

9) Make a Copy on the printer from the Printer screen and check how it goes.

10) If copying works fine and you are still unable to change the printing preferences then you need to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.