Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office jet pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I try I try to print I get an error message. It happens  with Office 2016 word and excel and google chrome, google docs, and one note. I can

print from my iPhone. And I can print from the hp printer app on my laptop the print quality page and  printer status report. 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@SteveY2018, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What is the error you get while printing?

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing. (Do not use the HP Smart app. Open the document you would like to print and click on print)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

9348A419-47D4-41BC-BC54-41A0C329FE83.jpeg

 Hi Kumar,

thank you for responding. I have run print and scan doctor several times and it hasn’t worked. I’ve also updated the drivers. 

HP Recommended

@SteveY2018

Did you download the full-featured driver and try printing?

Perform a clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing. (Do not use the HP Smart app. Open the document you would like to print and click on print)

Alternatively, you may use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

If the issue persists, install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

05799B1E-5627-434D-A89C-56F585FBA6C7.jpeg

 hi again Kumar,

I got to step 9 of your instructions and got an error saying unable to remove the drive, picture above. 

HP Recommended

Kumar,

After the error trying to delete the driver, I rebooted my laptop and was able to complete deleting the driver. I performed the clean reinstallation using the link you provided. Now I am getting past the error message I had at the beginning. The document I tried to print from MS Word went into the queue and sat there. No error, it just doesnt print. Next step?

HP Recommended

@SteveY2018

Did you try printing any other documents apart from the Word document to check if it prints?

If you are not able to print other documents like PDF, webpages or emails, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar, I have been through all of the things that you have suggested. I am still getting the same error message. This has been very frustrating. I dont even know if replacing the printer would make a difference because at this point I dont know if the problem is in my laptop or the printer. Like I said at the beginning, I can print from my iphone but nothing I try will print from the pc. 

HP Recommended

I am having the exact problem with my HP  3830. I even had a tech from my internet company come out and make sure that there was nothing wrong with the network. He said the problem lies with my Dell laptop and Windows. I am SICK of dealing with this and doing the same things over and over and over WITHOUT fixing the **bleep** thing. I am a teacher and am about to begin teaching virtually. I CANNOT WORK WITHOUT A PRINTER.... I am unable to print, and unable to figure out what the block is. My printer is wireless and when I print the doc ends up in the queue and just SITS there. Printing from my daughter's laptop works; printing from my PHONE WORKS, but nothing from any program on my laptop. Not any PDF, jpg, MS word, Google slide - NOTHING I need some HELP.

HP Recommended

Hi @SteveY2018,

We would have to connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.