Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5530 Printer

I recently upgraded my Windows 10 software on my Lenovo laptop.  Immediately afterwards when I went to print it did not recognise my HP ENVY 5530 Printer as the default printer which it has been for years.  II have tried everything to reinstall my HP Printer and failed.  Can anyone help please.  I am a 71 year old pensioner in lockdown and this is the last thing I needed.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have mentioned that you have upgraded the OS to windows 10, after that was the printer installed?

go to www.hp.com/go/tools and download the HP print scan doctor and run it.

it will look for any problems and help you resolve it.... if case if it doesn't please get back with the results of the print scan doctor. like what did it detect and what its indicating.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

I installed the latest version of Windows 10 recently.  At that time, the default printer was, and always been my HP ENVY 5530.  The software update when complete semed okay.  First time afterwards on trying to print a document it had changed my default printer to something like SCAN ONLY HP ENVY.......  I had never seen this before and it did not work.  It had erased completely my default option as show above.  I have been through all the Microsoft and HP stuff to date including Troubleshooter and HP Print/Scan Doctor.  From memory last output was, "No Devices Found".  I will look at your link and get back to you but to date nothing has worked.  

Thank you for responding ad I appreciate your help.   

HP Recommended

If it says that no devices detected that means its not seeing any HP printers drivers in the computer.

please follow the below steps to check if the drivers are installed or not

Simply press the Windows key + R shortcut to bring up the Run dialog, or open the Command Prompt. Type control printers and press Enter. The Devices and Printers window will open immediately. here you will see your HP printer icon, if you dont HP printer icon  here then it means the printer is not installed yet.

Please check this and get back for further assistance.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response to my problem.  I have tried a few things since I first posted but no further forward.  I tried as you suggested HP Print & Scan Doctor 5.3.1.  I downloaded the software they suggested and tried to connect the printer via Wireless.  It was unsuccessful - "Printer unable to be installed over the network" .   I also tried Search HP online resources for a solution but nothing yet.   I have had my HP Envy 5530 as my default printer for a number of years and it is aligned to same laptop over that time,a Lenovo.  This has all arisen since upgrading Windows software to 10.  It has removed the printer from being my default printer and from the list of options.  Only other strange thing I can tell you, I can still print from my Apple Smartphone and the default printer with that is my HP ENVY 5530.....!  Any further help greatly appreciated.    ColinL999:  22/05/20.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for trying the steps. Now since the computer has windows 10 installed, we will try using hp smart to install the printer on the comp. follow the below doc, there is a video that will give you step by step approach.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

HP Recommended

Hi Silvyg

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner and thank you once again for your help.  My young grandson was taken into hospital at age nine weeks, so things have been busy.  I will aim to do what you suggest on Monday 25 May.  I really appreciate your patience and assistance.  

HP Recommended

Hey no problems.....try the steps any other time when you are free.... hope your grandson is better now. 

Take care of your health too..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.