Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cindy5563
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an officejet 4500 that has a print cartridge problem and is flashing an exclamation point

I put a new cartridge, multi colored, in my computer.    When it printed out the alignment paper, the only thing that showed on the paper, was the red arrows & the blue squares.  I scanned the sheet anyway, but the alignment failed.  I tried several times.  I also tried trouble shooting by turning on the computer & unplugging it, then plugging it back in.  One time after doing that I got the whole alignment sheet to print out.  I scanned it, but still the alignment failed.  I also tried cleaning the cartridge & connecters, waiting 10 minutes for them to dry, but it still failed.  I even returned that cartridge & got another one, but the same thing happened.  Do I need a new printer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,289 17,140 1,142 1,790
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an officejet 4500 that has a print cartridge problem and is flashing an exclamation point

@cindy5563,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! 

• What is the exact model for your printer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cindy5563
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The model is G510n.  I'm not sure what you mean by operating system I'm using, but if you mean my computer, I have an E machine, HDMI.  I use windows 10.  I have had this printer for years.  I've changed cartridges several times with no problems.  This time I bought a new multi colored cartridge.  I put the cartridge in and printed out the alignment sheet.  It didn't look the same, but I didn't know what was different.   The only thing that showed up was the 3 red arrows on top & the blue squares at the bottom.  I placed it on the scanner and hit OK.  The alignment failed.  I did it 2 more times, then tried trouble shooting.  I turned on the power and unplug the electrical cord.  I plugged it back in, then tried again.  This time the full sheet printed out and I realized it was the black print and squares missing.  I put that paper on the scanner, but the alignment still failed.  I then tried cleaning the cartridge & connecters.  I let it dry 10 minutes then tried again , several times.  I never got the full alignment sheet again, just the red arrows & blue squares.  I returned that cartridge & got another one.  I tried the new one & had the same problem.  That's when I wrote to HP.  HELP Please!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,289 17,140 1,142 1,790
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cindy5563,

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-4500-all-in-one-printer-series-g510/3919445/model/...

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation