Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Inkjet pro 8600

My Officejet Pro 8600 all in one needs new printer cartridges. We have ink cartridge replacements on hand but when replaced it says that the brand new ink cartridges are not commpatible or have been detected to have been used or empty. This is not true as I've tested three differnet brand new boxes of these cartridges. After a few days of research I think I've finally found out the issue. The new ink cartridges are CN045ANwhere the old ones are CN045A. This means that these new cartridges are only for use in the US and Canada. I am in the US and I purchased these printers through Staples website in the US.

After reading other people having the exact same issue, I've realized I need a Regionalization Reset. I've tried using the contact support and typing in the printers SN but it is out of warranty. I do have brand new ink cartridge replacements.  I've tried typing in the product number on the contact support website for the ink cartridges but find nothing. I can't find any phone number or anything for any type of customer support, so this is my last option.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP.   HP's web page on the subject is here.

To get warranty coverage you will need to go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printer.  At this point it will say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says:  

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results. 

The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this 

Click on the "Dispute this" link in the warranty page, this will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select:

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software. 

In the comment section indicate that you need a regionalization reset and your cartridges are in warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

BTW, before calling for a regionalization reset you should confirm this is the issue.  From the printer's front panel get to the home screen (if not already), then touch the ink drops icon at the top of the screen.  This will bring up the ink levels.  Next click on "more" or click on one of the ink levels.  That will bring up a screen that shows the supported cartridges.  If the printer has been locked to a region* it will show something like "HP 950/950XL, HP 950/950XL Z20".  If the Z designation is anything other than Z10 you will need the regionalization reset.  Z10 is the US/Canada.

* The Officejet 8600 series printers were shipped unregionalized.  In ~ January 2017 HP introduced regionalized 950/951 series cartridges.  The printer will lock itself to the first regionalized cartridges installed in the printer.  I have seen many cases where folks in the USA bought cartridges on Amazon (or some other sellers) and got Z20 (Europe) cartridges in the early days of this regionalization.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Tried this method for requesting a "regionalization reset" and was assigned a case number on Dec 21, 2019.  The case was closed with no response on Dec 28, 2019.  Why?

I have an Office Jet Pro 8600, and replaced all the ink cartridges with US assigned cartridges.  The information on my printer shows that it is assigned to a region 4 and the ink cartridges are showing region 2.  It is a perfectly good printer and now is locked and can't be used.  How can I get the region reset on my printer?

HP Recommended

@streambirdie Welcome to HP Community!

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

I was contacted an HP employee, in Executive Escalations, who is suggesting I buy a new printer, since my printer is broken; or go to a local printer repair shop.  My printer is not broken. It has been incapacitated by the "regionalization" printer software and needs to be reset.  The process as spelled out in this thread is not working? What is the next step?

HP Recommended

@streambirdie wrote:

I was contacted an HP employee, in Executive Escalations, who is suggesting I buy a new printer, since my printer is broken; or go to a local printer repair shop.  My printer is not broken. It has been incapacitated by the "regionalization" printer software and needs to be reset.  The process as spelled out in this thread is not working? What is the next step?

Did you mention to the HP escalation contact that you needed a "Regionalization Reset"?  Unfortunately, the process for this is limited to specially trained support agents and is not widely understood by the untrained folks.

Do you have a Windows computer?  If so I would suggest you contact HP Support on the HP Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/HPSupport/.  Mention your issue and be sure to say you need a "Regionalization Reset".

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

@Bob Headrick  

Thanks for responding.  Yes.  I did request "regionalization reset", both times I submitted my request.  I will try the HP Support facebook page. 

So far, once they see my printer is no longer under warranty, despite the fact that my cartridges are within warranty they suggest a local repair shop or to buy a new printer.  

I will continue to patiently search for a HP Support person or persons that understand that my printer is not broken, but is locked.

HP Recommended

@streambirdie wrote:

@Bob Headrick  

Thanks for responding.  Yes.  I did request "regionalization reset", both times I submitted my request.  I will try the HP Support facebook page. [snip]

Please report your results back here.  I want to make sure this gets resolved.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.