Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP GT 5820 DeskJet Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First, I live in the U.S. That DOES make a BIG difference!! This printer is not sold in the U.S. and HP does not have the ink or parts for it either. They told me to contact HP in Hong Kong, which I did, and they tell me that they cannot sell me anything due to shipping restrictions or some similar excuse. So now what am I supposed to do for supplies? Each HP site tells me to go to the other one!

The printer is only 3 month's old, so is stil under warranty, but no one will tell me how or where to buy HP ink and/or printheads, and I can't even find where I would have to send it to have it repaired should it break down. I purchased it on either eBay or Amazon, but I had no idea that it was being sold by a seller in Taiwan. I registered it on the HP site successfully, but that is the ONLY thing I got done. I purchased an extended warranty from a partner of eBay or Amazon, but I imagine that they will just pay me for the printer if it breaks down because no one knows where to send it to have it repaired!

The printer came with a U.S. power cord, and not the foreign 220V cord, and it worked flawlessly right out of the box. It also came with a CD with the  drivers and User's Guide on it in English (and perhaps other languages).  I bought this particular printer because it was the only one that has replaceable printheads, and the Continuous Ink supply tank. And all I keep getting from HP is a runaround, but I still cannot buy either ink OR printheads because they're just passing the buck back and forth, leaving me without a solution.  I LOVE the printer, but it will soon become an expensive "boat anchor" if I'm not able to buy ink for it from HP. There ARE vendors selling "compatable" ink on eBay and Amazon, but I am afraid to use it in place of the OEM inks from HP. So much stuff online is knockoffs, and may or may not be good to use.

So would someone PLEASE find where I am to buy authentic HP parts before I run out of ink??? I have exhausted my choices, and I am certainly not happy with HP for not being able to supply me with the needed parts... especially the INK!!! What good is ANY printer without ink?? I am quickly becoming dissatisfied with HP over this, and I may just go to Epson for my next CIS printer because they sell the ink for their printers.  It certainly cannot be such a huge problem

for HP to add one more set of inks to the U.S. supply chain can it?? What I am getting is Customer DISSERVICE from them... WHY???

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me to solve this problem...

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Sorry, the GT5280 is not supported in the US, you will not be able to buy supplies or get support for this printer from HP in the US.  

Your beef should not be with HP, they do not sell or support this printer in the US and never have. Since the printer is not sold in the US there is no reason for HP to sell the ink through their supply channnels.  Such sales would be very small volumes.

I would suggest contacting your original supplier.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

While your reply was factual, I still fail to see why a MULTI-NATIONAL company cannot supply me with the necessary parts I need, but they sure are able to sell the printer to me, albeit from a vendor on eBay. And I DID contact the Hong Kong office of HP and they said they couldn't sell me the parts because of shipping constraints or some such thing. So, IOW they passed the buck back to me with no results again. I fail to see how it is cost prohibitive to send me probably one pound of ink but someone sent me the whole printer that must've weighed 20-25 pounds. Sure the sales might be small, but the customer service would be HUGE!! I'm not asking for the keys to their vault, I just need ink, so that I can continue using this printer. The printer itself is the greatest, but not for long! HP invented the thing, and is selling it elsewhere, but just because I happen to live in the U.S. and not a third world country, I'm unable to buy ink! It's all HP, no matter where it's made or sold.

I don't want excuses , I want ink, and without it this new printer is worthless. The printer has the HP logo all over it,  and HP apparently sells it all over the world EXCEPT the U.S., so *I* must suffer and be out the $300-$400 I paid for the printer. HP put their profit in one pocket, why not put the ink in the other pocket? With the Internet today, we can buy things from any country on earth, but the logistics is where they get you. Well, if they can't or won't help me get a simple thing like ink for one of THEIR printers, then I guess my days of buying anything from HP are over. And, I might add, I have 3 desktops, 1 printer and 2 monitors with the HP logo on them yet now they can't/won't even supply me with ink. That surely doesn't show much customer appreciation! All it might take would be an e-mail from one office to another to send 1 shipment of ink to me every year no matter WHERE it is being sold. It really isn't brain surgery. But because it's a small market share they won't budge. And WHY don't they sell mit here in the U.S.??? I'll tell you why... because it cuts into their profit of selling ink cartridges by the thousands. I quit using inkjets because of the high price and short life of the cartridges and went to colot laser printers. When I read a report on the available "Continuous Ink Supply" printers, the HP was the #1 choice, so I started looking for one.... NOW THIS FIASCO. So Thank You HP for being so understanding and compliant to my needs.

M.Wagner

HP Recommended

Sorry, but you imported the printer into the US, likely without the myriad of certifications that would be required for HP to sell the printer in the US (FCC, UL, etc).  HP had nothing to do with your purchase, other than manufacturing the printer and selling it in a restricted area of the world (for whatever reason they chose to do this).  You and the eBay seller worked around this restriction.

HP does not sell this product in the US (or most of the world - it is available only in a few countries), they do not support the product in the US and they do not sell the supplies in the US (since the printer is not legally sold in the US).

Sorry, but you will need to find a seller that will ship the supplies to you from a country that sells the product in their country, or sell the product back into a country where it can be supported.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I  didn't come to this forum to have a pissing match with someone, I came here for help, so could someone else PLEASE help me with this problem??? I didn't import ANYTHING, I bought the printer off of eBay or Amazon, not even knowing that it was coming from another country in the first place! I did nothing illegal or wrong but paid out good money for a HP product that none of the HP offices will honor the warranty on or even just supply me with ink so that I might be able to use the printer beyong the time the ink lasts that came with the printer originally. I suppose that if the printer had been shipped to me without the ink, I would have been able to return it because it would have been useless without ink from day one. The power supply has been UL approved, and all the manuals were printed in English and some oriental language, so that might imply that there might be one or two buyers that couldn't speak Mandarin or whatever but could read English. Oh well, maybe the third party insurer will cover it because it is no longer able to print without ink, or maybe it will quit working completely before it runs out of the original ink supply and the Ins. Co. will have to fix the problem somehow. So I guess I should have been been more cognizent of where it was coming from in the first place, and refused it if it didn't come from the U.S. because HP refuses to honor their name brand in any way shape or form... parts OR warranty. So HP doesn't have to repair anything with the HP logo on it if it was purchased in another country.... I hope everyone reads this thread and takes notice of this fact. Be sure you KNOW where the HP product was initially sold else they will not help you at all. Again, all it would take would be an e-mail or a phone call from one corporate office to another to expedite SOMEONE taking responsibility for supplying a simple thing like the necessary ink to make the printer be anything but completely useless. 

How about someone from HP answering my question rather than a non-employee volunteer who has no power to do anything whatsoever but tell me that I'm out of luck and tell me that it isn't HP's fault but my own for buying it online. It is , bottom line, a 100% HP product, and it shouldn't make one bit of difference where it is sold or manufactured! Most of the printers are probably made in China anyhow, but they sell ink for all of them, but this one in particular, they have drawn the line and both the U.S. office and the Hong Kong offices have passed the back back to each other, leaving me with no solution at all. But that's OK, I'll just have to eat the cost of the printer because I am only one customer and they are a BIG POWERFUL MULTI NATIONAL company and they don't have to cater to one single consumer. 

May I ask anyone else who has this printer to reply with the name and address of the company that they get their ink from (Genuine HP ink, not a substitute) so I may contact them? That would be helpful rather than arguing with someone not directly connected with HP. Again, I must say that I really like the printer, it prints photos well, and if fast enough for my needs and is definitely one whole lot cheaper for ink useage than the individual cartridges. I love it, but its time is becoming more limited by the day because the ink is running out and HP won't sell me any more inlk! So, bottom line, NEVER BUY A PRINTER FROM eBay OR Amazon WITHOUT KNOWING WHERE IT IS BEING SHIPPED TO YOU FROM or you will have the same problem I am having!

I am done with this thread.... if no one from HP is going to pick this thread up and come up with a solution for me, then why bother coming here at all? Nothing gets accomplished if someone from HP doesn't chime in. They alone would have the power to fix this problem, or at least bring attention to it at a corporate level. It may very well never have a solution, but I will never know because both the U.S. and Hong Kong offices have told me to contact each other, so have passed the back back and forth, but I am still running out of ink with no solution to that problem!

So, if someone else has some insight into a solution that I have not already tried, I welcome it!!

BTW, Epson and Canon both have CIS printers available in the U.S. I guess I know my own only solution, huh?? And I resent the implication that I did something wrong by buying this printer. I did not work around any restrictions nor did I conspire with the seller to circumvent any restrictions. They just don't sell it here because it would cut into their lucrative ink jet cartridges business..it's that simple! I'd be out of my original $300-$400 cost, but what does HP care? I'm only one of millions of customers, so losing me to Canon or Epson wouldn't bother then in the least!

HP Recommended

@omahamike74 wrote:

[snip]  So, bottom line, NEVER BUY A PRINTER FROM eBay OR Amazon WITHOUT KNOWING WHERE IT IS BEING SHIPPED TO YOU FROM or you will have the same problem I am having! [snip]

Good advice, and perhaps one thing we can agree on.  

Sorry, I cannot help you.  You did import the printer that was not intended for use in the US.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.