Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had just put a New color cartridge in my printer! It has been working great until today, 11/24/19!! All of a sudden it stopped being recognized by the printer!! I've gone through ALL of the steps they have said to do, but it still comes up unrecognized!! I'm really at a LOSS & I'm thinking it maybe defective!! What can I do to report a defective cartridge??

Delores Day
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @DeloresD

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Have you tried these steps yet? 

If the issue still persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the ink replacement. 

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I click on the steps & this is what I get: 

Service Unavailable - DNS failure This link isn't good!
I probably have done those steps already!!  It still hasn't accepted the cartridge!!

Why is this going in a vicious circle??

Delores Day
HP Recommended

Hi @DeloresD

Please check now, you should be able to access the document. 

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

Thanks, this time the link did work!  Just as I thought, I did try these steps before, but I tried them again. Still none of them worked!! The only one I can't do right now is to have a replacement one, as I don't have a replacement cartridge! Hopefully that will be in a couple of days, I hope.  
I would think, if this does end up being the cartridge, I would think I should be able to get a replacement for it! I have always gotten the cartridges from the HP Store, so I know they should be original HP cartridges! You know, this does say something for the printer, I haven't had an Issue with the printer till now, that the warranty has expired i!  And then it's about the  cartridge!!
I guess we'll have to wait for the next step til I get the new cartridge. If the one works, I would think I would  be due a refund or a replacement!! Thank you!!

Delores Day
HP Recommended

Asmita,

I got my other cartridge yesterday, but I didn't put it in until today! Just as I thought, this cartridge worked!! Now, how do I get credit for the old one that seems to have an issue, as it was practically a New cartridge! I hope this does help you!! Thanks again, Delores

Delores Day
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.