Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP INKJET 2540
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi,

All I need to know is how to check ink levels.  Nowhere in the manual covers it, nowhere (as far as I can find it) on the HP site covers it. It's a printer for goodness sake, surely HP should give this fundamental info in the manual. I've wasted an hour searching HP online, finally finding this forum.

Sorry for the rant, but the mind boggles for lack of basic info. My last printer, not an HP, gave me this info by simply clicking on the printer icon. The HP printer icon doesn't even relate to it. It's a printer, it uses ink to function, so inform users of the basic knowledge.

Again sorry for the rant.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds like you have having slight computer problems.

Totally reinstall the printer from scratch using the Full Featured Software and drivers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

All in the User guide page 38.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-2540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5295960/model/5295961/...

To check the ink levels

1. Depending on your operating system, do one of the following to open the printer software:
● Windows 8: On the Start screen, right-click an empty area on the screen, click All Apps on
the app bar, and then click the icon with the printer's name.
● Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP: From the computer desktop, click Start,
select All Programs, click HP, click HP Deskjet 2540 series, and then click HP Deskjet
2540 series.

2. In the printer software, click Estimated Ink Levels.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but, right clicking on the "start" page only gets me "Name groups" with the N underscored?

Finding my way the the apps doesn't even show a printer? "All info on page 38"  gets me to the Netherlands section in the user manual?

I am a member of lots of forums, so I do know my way around, but this forum, or HP support system is a nightmare. 

I really don't know how I finally managed to reply to your solution, because I couldn't type in the reply box? I was going round in circles before I could find a way to reply.

I am using Windws 8.1  Surely this simple fundamental information shouldn't be so difficult to access. It's a printer for goodness sake.

Thanks again, but I'm no wiser.

HP Recommended

Here is your User guide here.

User Guide

Download and read all.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your time & help, much appreciated. The user manual that came with the printer is obviously not the same as your linked manual?

But I get exactly the same instruction, ie to right click on the "Start" screen. 

Not sure if it's relevant, but shouldn't I see the printer icon in the programme list? 

PS I was able to reply this time as per usual & to type in the box, but again, it first had a kudos script which would not allow me to reply, then it disappeared & I was able to. very strange.

Hoping you can resolve this teaser.

HP Recommended

Sounds like you have having slight computer problems.

Totally reinstall the printer from scratch using the Full Featured Software and drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi sabretooth04,

Bingo, sorted, all working, able to see ink levels etc,etc,etc,

What a star. Uninstalled all programmes for HP & re-installed using the CD. Not sure what I was doing, but, bingo er! sorry, I've already done that bit. :OpenSmile:

Thanks again for your time & experience. 

trooper1943 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.