Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise and a HP Envy 5540 printer.

Since a few days, I am not able to print anymore in color and double sided. The color Cartridge is new with HP Instant Ink and and printing a test page can print in color.

It looks like a problem between Windows 10 and HP printer. I can reproduce the problem easily in Powerpoint, Word, or Adobe Reader.

I reinstalled the HP software but this did not solve the problem. Can anyone help me resolving this issue?

Thanks for the support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @bderossi

Thanks for replying. Appreciate you trying the steps. Let's try adding the printer using the IP address - 

1.) Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.

2.) Choose “Printers & scanners“.

3.) Select “Add a printer or scanner“.

4.) Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.

5.) Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.

6.) Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.

7.) Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 

8.) Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Let me know how that goes. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@bderossi Greetings from the HP Community!

I recommend you try the copier as a stand-alone device without a computer and check if that works in color,:

• If it doesn't work, this could be a hardware issue,
  • however, if the copier works and yet, the print out from the computer doesn't work in color, you can try the below steps:
    • Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
    • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
    • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
    • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
    • Now check for issue resolution.
    • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
    • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
    • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

For details on double-sided printing: click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @bderossi

Thanks for replying. Appreciate you trying the steps. Let's try adding the printer using the IP address - 

1.) Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.

2.) Choose “Printers & scanners“.

3.) Select “Add a printer or scanner“.

4.) Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.

5.) Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.

6.) Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.

7.) Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 

8.) Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Let me know how that goes. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Many thanks.

By adding again the printer, printing on this new printer name was working again perfectly.

it looks like the existing one did not work anymore potentially impacting by a change in Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hi @bderossi

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.