Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet GT5820
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I recently bought this GT5820 and followed the online video to set it up. As part of the process the printer, prints an Alignment sheet that needs to be scanned. The Display has a flashing P and the resume button is held down for 3 seconds to begin printing the alignment sheet, the dIsplay now shows a flashing A. After which the sheet is place in the scan bed to be scanned and when the color print is depressed this process starts and the printheads are then aligned. After which the printer goes into a Priming phase where the display would show O for a duration of 45 mins.

However this was not the case for me. My print out did not have any black ink, the colour ink alone was printed. I still used the sheet to scan but a message on my Desktop showed there was an error. So I had to use the utilities to purge and clean the black ink printhead. After quite some time the black ink started to print, so that I am able to print the Alignment sheet.

However after the alignment sheet is scanned there is no phase to initiate the ink tank priming.

So how do I initiate the priming phase?

Is there a factory reset to carry the printer to the phase where the Display flashed P?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Pakesh

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you want to reset the printer.

I am sending you a private message with the instruction to reet the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Pakesh

Check the ink delivery system

1. Make sure the transportation ink valve is in the unlocked position.

Figure : Unlocking the transportation ink valve

Image: Unlocking the transportation ink valve
  2. Make sure the printer is turned on.

3. Inspect the position of the blue printhead latch.

1. Open the exterior door.

2. Open the printhead access door.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Figure : Opening the printhead access door

Image: Opening the printhead access door
    3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Visually inspect the printhead latch position.

• If the printhead latch is closed, continue to the next step.

• If the printhead latch is open, skip to the step to Replace the printheads.

CAUTION:

Do not touch the blue printhead latch! Touching the latch might open the carriage and cause damage to the ink system.

Image: Don't touch the blue latch

4. Reach inside the printer through the printhead access door, and then manually move the carriage to the right.

Figure : Moving the carriage to the right

Moving the carriage to the right
  5. Visually inspect the ink delivery tubes.

• If the tubes are white or ink stained, the printer is not properly primed or out of ink, skip to the step to Replace the printheads.

Figure : Example of a printer not properly primed

Example of a printer not properly primed

Figure : Example of a printer out of ink with ink stained tubes

Example of a printer out of ink with ink stained tubes
    • If the tubes are completely filled with dark ink, the printer is properly primed and filled with ink, continue to the next step.

Figure : Example of a printer properly primed with dark ink

Example of a printer properly primed with dark ink

Run the printhead cleaning utility using the HP Software

Follow these steps, if you are using a windows computer:

1. Open or search for the HP folder in your list of installed software programs, click the folder for your printer, and then click the name of your printer.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

2. On the HP Printer Assistant window, click Maintain Your Printer.

3. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Clean Ink Cartridges.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Figure : Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic page

Image: Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic page
  4. Examine the Print Quality Diagnostic page.

Click here and refer the HP document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed that procedure couple times before and my printer tubes are clear, there are no ink stains on them which suggest the system was not primed.

This is what I've been trying to do almost a week now. The manual says if the tubes are clear the system is not primed so I need to get new printheads. But I find this really ridiculous because I never used the printer and the printheads are new. Changing printheads mean I need to buy new ones which puts me at an expense so something is not right with this system and procedure.

That is why I am asking for a factory reset that puts the printer in it initializing mode with the flashing P on thed LCD. Can you please find out about this from the HP Tech Department...thanks.

HP Recommended

@Pakesh,

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have tried all possible troubleshooting steps as well as performing a reset on the printer and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue. 

This looks like a possible hardware failure with the printer. I am sending you a private message with the information required to get this issue sorted. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Got a new printheads installed and after the alignment process, it did not resume to priming. I need to manually align using the app and it worked. The wires are now filled even though it did nit undergo the priming process. Is it safe of not?

HP Recommended

@nesh143

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.