Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6968, 902, 920
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can cartridge 920 be used in the OfficeJet Pro 6968, in lieu of cartridge 902?

What are the negative consequences if I at least try to use the 920?

I know the 6968 is not listed as a printer in which the 920 may be used.

I also know that the 920 is not listed as a cartridge that may be used in the 6968.

However, somebody gifted me a complete set of 920, the protective plastic has already been removed, so I could not exchange it.

And I do not want to just throw it away.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Suggest you sell them on eBay.  If you get them installed the printer will just show an error message and they will not work.

HP Recommended

hello ya'll, I have an older office jet 6500, that used 920 toner. Now I have a office jet 6978. They are basically the same printer. the new printer wants 902 toner. I compared some old 920 to the new 902, and they appear to be the same cartridges, didn't try them yet.

HP Recommended

Just swap the chips and these cartridges are interchangeable. The chip is the small black square on the ink side. Pull gently on the top edge with a fingernail or small tool, away from the cartridge. They pop back in easily.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.