Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink Cartridge(s) Problem the following ink Cartridge(s) must be replaced (black)

HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ink Cartridge Problem: The following Ink Cartridge(s) must be replaced (Black Ink)

I have recently purchased a new Black ink cartridge (EU 301 black - US 61 black) for my HP Envy 4500. It worked as usual for maybe 2 copies and then suddently the following message appeared :"Ink Cartridge Problem: The following Ink Cartridge(s) must be replaced (Black Ink)".  

The printer now works only on single ink mode, but whenever I try to  reinstall the new cartridge I can't print anymore. 

I have tried to solve this problem by following the instructions on the hp website, but they didn't work. 

I'm hesitant to buy a new cartridge to see if it works, because if it doesn't I could have bought a new printer with the same money. 

thanks for your help in advance

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,391 2,259
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink Cartridge(s) Problem the following ink Cartridge(s) must be replaced (black)

Hi @giulia_v,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are getting ink cartridge error message on your HP Envy 4500 printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using genuine HP Ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Have you tried to use the old set of cartridges? Are you getting the same error message while using the old cartridges.

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Alternatively, please try to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP ENVY 4500, Deskjet 3540 Printers - Cartridge Missing or Incompatible Ink Cartridges Error Display...

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation