Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JODI72
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink cartridge (black) replaced and recognized by the printer, but the prints are without ink

HP Photosmart 5520

Hi, I've replaced the black ink cartridge with a new, orginal HP 364 XL, in my HP Photosmart 5520, and it is recognized by the printer (showing full black ink), but the prints I make are without ink: The printer is printing, but the sheet which comes out, is still completely white… What can I do?

1 REPLY 1
Level 16
Level 16
32,655 26,029 2,379 8,065
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink cartridge (black) replaced and recognized by the printer, but the prints are without ink

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Photosmart 5520.

If the standard troubleshooting did not resolve black not printing I would suggest removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.  

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here.

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows black to recover.

If none of the above restores black printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation