Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Offficejet 6500

I copied and pasted this intro since I type slow after a stroke. I have an Officejet 6500A purchased in 2011 using 920XL ink cartridges. The black cartridge had a problem a couple of weeks ago and now.  It is half full but prints lightly or not at all.  Align Printheads failed twice and Clean Printheads also failed twice.  I wiped the gold plate with a clean, soft clean cloth, which helped last time, but it still doesn’t print right.  What do you suggest? Is the cartridge guaranteed?  I don’t think it is a printer problem.  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Officejet 6500.  Be sure to check the vents as shown in step 4.  Soaking the printhead as shown in step 8 may also resolve the issue,

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The vent looked clean in Step 4. Soaking the printhead in Step 8 looks like a major procedure. I did a second-level auto cleaning of the printhead but very little printed. I will buy a new 920XL black cartridge, but will wait to install or clean printhead manually when she is home tonight. The existing cartridge may be damaged. Do you know if HP guarantees the cartridges? Can I talk to HP or send an email to them for product support without paying? Do you know a proper way to clean the gold plate on cartridge if that is a problem? Thanks.

HP Recommended

I went to Best buy to buy a new 920XL cartridge.   The GEEK Guy said he had worked for HP and that they stopped making the 4500 printers after six months from when they were introduced due to printhead problems. He also said it would destroy the printhead if it were soaked. Rather than buying the cartridge, I paid some more and bought an HP Envy 4520 printer. Hope it works OK. What do you suggest I do with the almost new 920XL color cartridges?

HP Recommended

There is a lot of misinformation out there.  HP would not recommend soaking the printhead if it "would destroy the printhead".  The web page on soaking the printhead actually had its start with my post here.  You can read through the list, but many folks have reported success soaking the printhead.

The issue you have is not related to issues with the electrical connections.  An electrical connection would result in an error message related to "missing or incorrect cartridge" or other errors.

As for what to do with the cartridges - I would suggest fixing the Officejet 6500 with the troubleshooting steps given previously.  You could also tell the driver you are using photo paper, this would use the color cartridges to print black (even for black text).  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

There is a warranty for HP cartridges, typically two years from date of manufacture. See the document here for information.  It is not likely that your particular issue is due to the ink cartridge.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.