Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi 2h2ack

Try resetting the printer as follows:

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

That work?

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

all ready tried that, still no yellow. I am thinking that the printer it self is the problem, not the printhead or cart. now that it's close to 2 years old I'm just stuck with it.

HP Recommended

Clara_B,

I have tried that method for resetting with success when the printer lost network connection. I haven't had the opportunity to try it when the s0-called "expired" ink cartridge causes the printer to freeze. The other poster on this thread said that technique didn't fix the problem with their printer which won't print using the yellow cartrdige. I'm curious to see if it works when the printer freezes "expired" cartridges. Since I threw out the cartridge that was supposedly "expired", I'll have to wait until I have that problem again.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Posting problems and replies here is a waste of time! Real HP tech is needed.

I have a B8550, my only problem is the yellow will not PRINT!

The printer does not "freeze up" I has a new print head and new cart. still no yellow, has to be the printer it self.

I have a word doc. it has RRRRRRRR for red; BBBBBBB for black; BBBBBBBB for blue; and YYYYYYYY for yellow; the only one that will not print is the yellow. I am not spending any more money on the 2 year old wide format printer.

HP Recommended

Hi wyocop

Have you checked that the cartridge is vented properly?

Ciara

HP Recommended

We have 3 HP8500s at work and I have told my computer guy to never buy another HP printer. This is our 3rd printer (different models) that has had the expiration problem. Our Best Buy sales (ex) told us that it isn't a problem on this printer. On Friday, we ran into the exact same problem mentioned in this thread. The printer was saying “printing” and the "!" was flashing...nothing happened. Started up the printer again and it said that that a cartridge was expiring soon. That is a load because when that error message comes up it disables the printer. We put in a new black cartridge and it immediately printed.

We are tired of HP forcing us to buy their products and then having to use them in a timely manner (without a clear refund program when expirations happen). We buy our supplies for a long time in the future so we don't run to the store every couple days.

We, in the past, also tried an off brand cartridge but HP put it in the printer to hassle the customer about ink always being out. They are a company that perhaps needs to be pulled in front of Congress to explain the artificially high prices of ink cartridges and not disclosing that a customer must pay the monopolistic prices to only get their supplies.  We spend over $100 per month, per printer on this cartridge scam.  Never again!

HP Recommended

yes I have.

Still waiting for HP Suppert to call me, they asked for my phone number right after I started posting the problem.

So far I hav been told that my "rants" have been deleated, still NO HELP.

wyocop (john)

HP Recommended

I talked with a very pleasant young man at HP (after many, many minutes of telephone wait time).  He searched through his resources, then said that my L7650 was too old for him to have access to any data on it.

I thanked him and solved my own problem:  I went out and bought a Canon.

It works like a charm and has no hints of the problems the HP had.

(PS:  I ran spellchecker on this note and got back an error for the "l" in "L7650."    Maybe all of HP is approaching being too old to have access to data?)

HP Recommended

@wyocop wrote:

yes I have.

Still waiting for HP Suppert to call me, they asked for my phone number right after I started posting the problem.

So far I hav been told that my "rants" have been deleated, still NO HELP.

wyocop (john)

Hi John, did HP Support get back to you? Is this issue now resolved? Let me know if you need me to help follow up. Thanks, Ciara

HP Recommended

I have not personally tried it, because I have not had this error.  But while searching for the answer for another issue with my printer, I saw that some people try resetting the *year* or date of the system clock of their PC to get around the error message of cartridges being expired, reporting that this works until the next power off/on of the printer or reboot of the PC (or something like that--works, but not permanently?).  I think, in one specific example, that a person set the date two years previous and reported that the HP printer software/drivers somehow get their today's date off of the PC/system date.  Oh, also, since I only vaguely recall reading this idea hours ago after reading lots of other things (again, it wasn't my question, so I didn't note it down), you may or may not need to restart your PC after changing the system date--something like this seemed to resolve the issue for some people.  Hope it works for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.