05-21-2019 08:54 PM
OfficeJet Pro 8600
When I installed a new cyan cartridge, the yellow remaining ink was low but the icon was ! not X. When I tried to print it indicated that I had to replace an empty cartridge. It indicated yellow. I did that. The black cartridge had indicated about 1/3 full. When I tried to print after installing the yellow, I got the same mesasge about installing a new cartridge for an empty cartridge. This time it indicated that the black cartridge was empty. With the price of ink, I am not going to swap out a black cartridge with 1/3 ink remaining. What is wrong and how do I get it to recognoze the bkack ink remaining?
05-22-2019 01:28 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community!
I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Remove USB cable, if present.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
- Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
- Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.
If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you update the printer firmware following the steps in the below article.
If the issue persists, replace the black cartridge.
Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!
If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!
I am an HP Employee