Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8720
Other

Question applies to every hp inkjet I've owned. Since I work in retail, it applies to many of my customers as well.

Description:

I place new cartridges (HP brand) in my printer.

I may print 1-5 pages and power the printer off. It'll stay powered off anywhere from a day to a month.

Next time I power it on, my cartridges are down by 20-30 percent.

Same process, print 1-5 pages and power the printer. 

Next time, another 15-30 percent.

My color cartridges end up lasting 20-30 pages, even though I only print 3-5 that actually use color. The rest I select the "Black Only" option when printing.

Black cartridges end up lasting 50-75 pages.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Why don't HP printer print until the ink is gone, instead of guessing at how much ink might be in the cartridges?

Why doesn't HP offer a CISS style accessory for their printers?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MillerAJ,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know why the ink is depleted when the printer is not in use.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I would like to inform you that the ink evaporates mostly through the hole required to let air in when ink is taken out. This is why they are sold sealed.

Some of HP’s inkjet systems are sensitive to air ingestion and water evaporation, which can cause ink to change over time, adversely impacting the printhead and the ink delivery components within the printer. To protect the printing system and ensure print quality, certain HP printers are designed to stop ink cartridges from working when they reach a built-in date, calculated from when each ink cartridge is installed. Some of these systems allow users to override the stoppage and continue printing at their own risk.

In case if you are not using the printer for a longer duration I recommend you store the cartridges in an airtight container or a plastic bad.

Please refer to the below article for more information.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03007680

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I typed up and posted a detailed response to this, checked back a few days later.....and it's gone??

To Summarize:

1) Wasted ink is of greater import to me than quality. How can I make the HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 use the maximum amount of ink.

2) I understand the evaporation issue. I would give more credit to this possibility if I didn't see the ink level go down noticibly after only 1 day of non-use.

3) An expiration date built in to the cartridge? Without giving the user a choice? I didn't pay for a cartridge to use until HP decides I should stop using it! I paid for a cartridge to use until it was depleted of ink.

4) As a retail sales employee, HP used to be my 'go-to' brand for pages per dollar based on the estimated yeilds. (Excluding the Epson EcoTank, which kicks HP's posterior). I seriously doubt I can continue to recommend HP as the best brand to go with.

5) I suggest you have the printers alert the user that the ink has passed it's 'Best Quality' date, and allow the user to choose if they wish to sacrifice some quality to maximize longevity.

6) You make more than enough profit on the ink already....give the user a break.

HP Recommended

@MillerAJ,

Yes, you can print even after the cartridge expiry date however, you do get an alert about the same.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Really..... I wouldn't have posted this if it was letting me print. Hey, I'm willing to test some new firmware that will attempt to print even when it thinks the cartridges is empty. It's not even attempting to print. 

However, I've already started informing my coworkers about the expiration date. Amazing that none of them knew about that, though most know about evaporation problems. Unlike many ppl and companies, I don't lie to customers about what they can expect from a machine.

I've tried printing from the hp app, and from a PC. Tried setting 'black only' and it won't print despite the printer saying it has black ink.

Firmware is up to date.

HP Recommended

@MillerAJ

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the hard reset and check for the issue.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. 

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. 

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 

5. Wait at least 60 seconds. 

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. 

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. 

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed 

If the issue still persists, You have to replace the ink cartridges.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Did that.

Only cyan and yellow are empty. It still won't print black only, does this model not have the black only when color is out function?

HP Recommended

@MillerAJ

This printer does not have a single-cartridge mode. 

If you have already performed the steps from the document Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.