Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I  have recently replaced my black ink cartridge in my envy 4500 series inkjet printer, since then the prints are coming out darker and wrong colour (what should be orange/red is coming out as purple ?, I havn't changed any printing settings, just changed the cartridge ?, I have aligned and cleaned the heads, and run the troubleshooter with no results, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Rob6457 Here are a few steps that should help resolve this concern:

Please check if the copier is working fine, as a stand alone device, 

Meanwhile, perform these steps:

Step 1: Remove the black ink cartridge

If you just set up your printer and you notice that black ink is missing or faded on your printouts, remove the black ink cartridge and print only with the tri-color ink cartridge. This allows the printer to operate in single-cartridge mode, which creates composite black from the tri-color ink cartridge.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Locate the slots on the left and right sides of the printer.

Figure : Locate the slots on the sides of the printer

Image: Locate the slots on the sides of the printer
  3. Slide your fingers into the two slots, and then gently lift up to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the cartridge access area.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

6. Pull up on the black cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Remove the cartridge

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the cartridge

7. Set the black cartridge aside, with the nozzles facing up.

Figure : Cartridge with nozzles facing up

Image: Cartridge with nozzles facing up
  8. Close the cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door.
  9. Try the print job again.

• If the printer operates correctly in single-cartridge mode, let the black cartridge rest with the nozzles facing up for several hours or overnight, reinstall it, and then try to print again. If you are satisfied with the print quality, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer does not operate correctly in single-cartridge mode or you are not satisfied with the print quality after you reinstall the black cartridge, continue to the next solution.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your suggestion, i have tried part 1, removing black ink cartridge, and printing in one cartridge mode, result was the same so that tells me the problem lies with the colour cartridge ?,  i have checked the ink level and it looks fine,  i use genuine hp cartridges supplied by instant ink, but i don't have a replacement colour cartridge at this time, I have left the black cartridge out as suggested and will try it again in a few hours time, thanks for your reply :). 

HP Recommended

Hi @Rob6457

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.