HillTechGeek Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Installed a SonicWall Firewall Now I Can't Print

HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printing worked fine between the HP Laptop (17-x116dx) and the printer prior to installing a SonicWall firewall. Everything on the firewall is open and allowed as it pertains to the wireless network. However now when I try to print anything graphics intensive only the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the page prints. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and it didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
21074 1537 3557
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post

Remove the Sonic Firewall.  Windows firewall works just fine.  If not, contact Sonic company.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
I used to work for HP but I saw the light and retired.

Printer Hint #1 - Always buy a printer with a display panel for easy configuration.
Printer Hint #2 - Always buy a printer with separate black and separate color cartridges.
Printer Hint #3 - Always buy a wireless printer with an Ethernet port for backup.
Special Hint: There is a 97.2% (and increasing) chance the information you seek is in the User Guide/Manual or on your printers HP Support Page. Remember, Google is your friend.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
716 29 86
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post

Hellow Hilltechgeek,

I use Webroot Secureanywhere (Ver 9) and do not get viruses or malware (that I know of).  It comes as part of Geek Squad, which I've used a few times for tech glitches.   Good luck.

I am not an HP employee. 

0 Kudos
GoochMcJunkin Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post

Windows firewall does not work fine, especially for larger organizations.  A physical appliance, such as the SonicWall, is necessary in this day and age, for increased traffic control.  The fact that you would say "remove the SonicWall firewall" is ludacris.  HP should be able to function with other firewall manufacturers besides Windows.

Perhaps the proper reply, from an "HP Expert", would be a solution to get the HP print module to work with SonicWall.  A little effort would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
31951 2320 7560
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post

If the printer will work OK for the first 1/3 of a graphics page the firewall is not blocking communication, but it may be introducing a timeout or timing delay causing issues.  I would suggest contacting Sonic support.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
GoochMcJunkin Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post

That is a helpful reply.  Thank you Bob.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation