cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installed off label ink cartridge. Replaced with HP but printer says "printer failure"

Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

HP officejet pro 8630

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,633 7,625 495 608
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installed off label ink cartridge. Replaced with HP but printer says "printer failure"

Hi @Lovetofly7478

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Check for obstructions in the carriage path

Refer to step 1 from this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Kumar, I have done all the cleaning of contacts on the cartridges and plugged and un plugged the printer numerous times . I even downloaded driver. It still gives message" There is a problem with the printer or ink system.... 2 weeks w/o use of printer. frustrating. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,563 11,564 1,065 1,251
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lovetofly7478

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried opening Contact HP Puerto Rico but it is in Spanish.  Does this mean I am going to have to get a service call to fix this problem.?? I never even printed with the wrong cartridge. There has to be a fix to a perfectly functable computer that your designers set a booby trap into?? **bleep**

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By computer I mean printer bleep

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,991 7,978 590 616
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lovetofly7478, Welcome to HP Support Community!

HP does not recommend usage of non-HP ink. there are chances of the printer ink system getting corrupt and HP will not guarantee the functionality of the ink cartridges further.

If you have already performed the steps from the document  'Printer Failure' Error and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation