Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
NVY Photo 7800 All‑in‑One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recived the instant ink cartidges in October and have installed for the first time as the original ones have run out. says i need to register them and have logged into the instant ink page but it cannot connect to the printer. i have tried over wifi and now ethernet. can connect to the printer via browser and hp tools all connect but  the instant ink page still cannot connect. any thoughts as i need to print?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @DStaines, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are getting error Instant Ink Cannot connect to the printer now try again later on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned you are getting error Instant Ink Cannot connect to the printer now try again later on your printer.

HP Instant Ink monitors your ink cartridge levels so replacement ink cartridges can be sent to you when you need them. When your printer is not connected to the Internet for an extended period of time, monitoring is interrupted, and one of the following error messages might display on your computer or printer:
Connect Printer to Update HP Instant Ink Status
If the printer is not connected to HP Connected you will be unable to print soon
Cannot print - Press OK to connect printer to update status
Press OK to connect printer so replacement cartridge can be ordered
Press OK to connect the printer to update status.

Refer this article to know more information about error Connect Printer to Update Status on your printer.

Please share few details in a private message, so I can initiate the order to ship you a replacement ink cartridge.

Printer Model Name

Serial Number of the printer

Instant ink Email Address

Instant Ink Account Number

Address to ship the cartridge

Do you need black or color ink cartridges?

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

further to your message in addition to 'instant ink cannot connect to the printer now' message there is a message on the printer 'cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in hp instant ink'. this is also odd as the printer is showing with a status of online in the instant ink home page. maybe we go with swapping the cartridges first as you suggested and see what happens next. please send me replacement black and tricolour cartidges as per your original message

HP Recommended

@DStaines wrote:

Recived the instant ink cartidges in October and have installed for the first time as the original ones have run out. says i need to register them and have logged into the instant ink page but it cannot connect to the printer. i have tried over wifi and now ethernet. can connect to the printer via browser and hp tools all connect but  the instant ink page still cannot connect. any thoughts as i need to print?

Did you find out why your Printer would not print after replacing cartridges. 

Mine is doing the same thing. 

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue. They have sent me new cartridges 3 separate times and each time my printer says "online" and yet I still get the "cannot connect to printer, try again soon" message so I know these new cartridges won't print for very long. What a waste. This has been happening for 2 months now. This is the worst experience with a printer I've ever had. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.